Old 28-07-2010, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID this plant?

Bought this flower at Home Despot. Was no name on display.
Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!

Nursery says the open one is Petunia. Is it?

What is the other one?

(Hope this works; I'm kinda new at uploading pix to NGs)

Tx
Old 28-07-2010, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Bought this flower at Home Despot. Was no name on display.
Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!

Nursery says the open one is Petunia. Is it?

What is the other one?

(Hope this works; I'm kinda new at uploading pix to NGs)

Tx

The trumpet-shaped one with the dark centre is a petunia and although the
other one looks familiar I cannot think of a name for it.

David

Old 28-07-2010, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Bought this flower at Home Despot. Was no name on display.
Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!

Nursery says the open one is Petunia. Is it?

What is the other one?

(Hope this works; I'm kinda new at uploading pix to NGs)

Tx

Yes, the larger flowers are petunias.
I believe the others are either torenia or nemesia.
(I had some in mixed flower pots this summer but
they died and I can't find the name stake.)

gloria p
Old 28-07-2010, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 27, 6:19*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Bought this flower at Home Despot. *Was no name on display.
Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!

Nursery says the open one is Petunia. *Is it?

What is the other one?

(Hope this works; I'm kinda new at uploading pix to NGs)

Tx

Yes, the larger flowers are petunias.
I believe the others are either torenia or nemesia.
(I had some in mixed flower pots this summer but
they died and I can't find the name stake.)

gloria p

Thanks, Gloria and David.

Gloria, since you had this plant -- when should I deadhead
and how much? The torenia/nemesia is getting leggy.

Tx

Old 28-07-2010, 11:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

Bought this flower at Home Despot. Was no name on display.
Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!

Nursery says the open one is Petunia. Is it?

Yes indeed: the larger flower is a Petunia.

What is the other one?

It's hard to tell, but based on the asymetry of the flowers, the
white 'eyes' and the sprawling tumble of the plant it could be
something like Chaenorrhinum 'Summer Skies' or 'Blue Dreams'
which are commonly used as filler plants for planters and hanging
baskets.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 28-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered User

nice pic, I only recognize the trumpet one, while the other is really a mistery ... Anyway, love them both, may be a god creation for this combination ... just kidding though.
Old 28-07-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Bought this flower at Home Despot. Was no name on display.
Everybody tells me it's TWO flowers, but I only planted one!
Nursery says the open one is Petunia. Is it?
What is the other one?

(Hope this works; I'm kinda new at uploading pix to NGs)
Tx

Yes, the larger flowers are petunias.
I believe the others are either torenia or nemesia.
(I had some in mixed flower pots this summer but
they died and I can't find the name stake.)

gloria p

Thanks, Gloria and David.

Gloria, since you had this plant -- when should I deadhead
and how much? The torenia/nemesia is getting leggy.

Tx

Yes, I had it, but it died, remember? I can't keep those small filler
plants (including lobelia) alive in a mixed pot.

Deadheading of annuals is usually done as the individual flowers die.
You can cut it all back by 1/3 I suppose but it will take quite a while
for new buds to form. They may not even form before a killing frost.
It's yours to experiment with. (Perhaps cut back just sections of it
and see how they do?)

gloria p
Old 28-07-2010, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

We don't have frost here at the coast.

It's yours to experiment with. *(Perhaps cut back just sections of it
and see how they do?)

Sounds like a scientific way to go. Still not sure whether to cut
back
to the ground or deadhead part way. May try a little of both.

Tx

gloria p

Old 29-07-2010, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID this plant? Schizostylis?

could the second plant be Schizostylis? They look very
familar
to the ones I have. Grow to about 1.5 ft tall, kind of
resemble
those of gladiolus. Spikes of showy pink/purple, and they
like sun.

Donna
in WA

"modpod77" wrote in