Old 29-07-2010, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default New Garden(er), please help me identify plants

In article
,
Fletcher Madden wrote:

Hello, I've inherited a garden -a month or so back.

I've been trying my best to keep everything growing and removing the
weeds, but I'm unsure what the plants are and the proper names for
them are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

They can all be viewed here, at picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/11634329...es?feat=direct
link

#3 is hyacinth bean, Lablab purpureus, which if given a trellis or other
support will produce beautiful vines covered with those pretty lavender
flowers which eventually become purple pods containing attractive seeds
that are poisonous yet edible upon prolonged boiling.

#4 is some kind of common edible bean.

#6 looks like rosemary to me.

#11 is purslane, an edible weed, growing amongst the beans.

#13 looks like an Oxalis of some sort, not sure.

Nice garden. Best of luck to you!