Old 29-07-2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default New Garden(er), please help me identify plants

Hello, I've inherited a garden -a month or so back.

I've been trying my best to keep everything growing and removing the
weeds, but I'm unsure what the plants are and the proper names for
them are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

They can all be viewed here, at picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/11634329...eat=directlink

Many thanks,

Warderfront

#6 looks like thyme.

In #9, the plant in the center-back is a carrot or possibly parsley.
The plants along the left appear to be beets.

#13 is yellow oxalis, an awful weed. Get rid of it as soon a possible!
Be sure you get at least some of the taproot.

Where are you? That is, what is your climate? Knowing your climate
might help to identify plants growing outdoors.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 29-07-2010, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Fletcher Madden wrote:

Hello, I've inherited a garden -a month or so back.

I've been trying my best to keep everything growing and removing the
weeds, but I'm unsure what the plants are and the proper names for
them are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

They can all be viewed here, at picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/11634329...es?feat=direct
link

#3 is hyacinth bean, Lablab purpureus, which if given a trellis or other
support will produce beautiful vines covered with those pretty lavender
flowers which eventually become purple pods containing attractive seeds
that are poisonous yet edible upon prolonged boiling.

#4 is some kind of common edible bean.

#6 looks like rosemary to me.

#11 is purslane, an edible weed, growing amongst the beans.

#13 looks like an Oxalis of some sort, not sure.

Nice garden. Best of luck to you!
Old 29-07-2010, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fletcher Madden wrote:
Hello, I've inherited a garden -a month or so back.

I've been trying my best to keep everything growing and removing the
weeds, but I'm unsure what the plants are and the proper names for
them are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

They can all be viewed here, at picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/11634329...eat=directlink

Many thanks,

Warderfront

1) lots of stuff
2) something gone to seed
3) beans #A
4) beans #B
5) dunno
6) rosemary
7) on the left a cucurbit, probably cucumber, middle something gone to seed
hard to tell without seeing the leaves, behind with the yellow flower a
brassica gone to seed and I think strawberries
8) a weed, probably mallow
9) silverbeet & carrots at the back possibly eggplant at the front
10) a small one of 5) ?
11) a weed whose name I forget
12) beans #B
13) weeds (clover)
14,15) apples and deer (YUM)

A few comments:
- This is an international forum and there can be confusion over common
names.
- There is no mulch
- More organic matter in the soil would be good (organic mulch will help)
- The trellises at the back that would be good for climbing beens and peas
are not used
- Normally I would say save the seeds but since you don't know if they are
worth saving just pull the stuff that has gone to seed and compost
- Won't you be annoyed if the deer (or something else from the forest) take
to the apple trees. Is there any sign of damage?

David

Old 29-07-2010, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

2) something gone to seed

Radish gone to seed.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude

Old 29-07-2010, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

5) dunno

Melon of some sort.

#6 does not look like the upright rosemary I have in front of my house,
and it does not look like the trailing rosemary that some of my
neighbors have.

Old 29-07-2010, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fletcher Madden said:

Hello, I've inherited a garden -a month or so back.

I've been trying my best to keep everything growing and removing the
weeds, but I'm unsure what the plants are and the proper names for
them are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

They can all be viewed here, at picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/11634329...ardenPictures?
feat=directlink

#4 - Bush snap beans, with a weed (lamb's quarter) on the right

#5, 10 - watermelon

#6 - The leaves/habit look a little off for rosemary but it is a herb of
some sort. Maybe winter savory? Should be able to tell by smell.

#7 - some sort of oregano? With strawberries behind and weeds gone
to flower (maybe prickly lettuce) in the midst of them.

#8 -- might be cilantro. Could also be broad-leaved parsley or parsnips
(they are all members of the same plant family).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

#6 does not look like the upright rosemary I have in front of my
house, and it does not look like the trailing rosemary that some of my
neighbors have.

We need to have a smell interface on computers.