Old 29-07-2010, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default New Garden(er), please help me identify plants

Fletcher Madden wrote:
Hello, I've inherited a garden -a month or so back.

I've been trying my best to keep everything growing and removing the
weeds, but I'm unsure what the plants are and the proper names for
them are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

They can all be viewed here, at picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/11634329...eat=directlink

Many thanks,

Warderfront

1) lots of stuff
2) something gone to seed
3) beans #A
4) beans #B
5) dunno
6) rosemary
7) on the left a cucurbit, probably cucumber, middle something gone to seed
hard to tell without seeing the leaves, behind with the yellow flower a
brassica gone to seed and I think strawberries
8) a weed, probably mallow
9) silverbeet & carrots at the back possibly eggplant at the front
10) a small one of 5) ?
11) a weed whose name I forget
12) beans #B
13) weeds (clover)
14,15) apples and deer (YUM)

A few comments:
- This is an international forum and there can be confusion over common
names.
- There is no mulch
- More organic matter in the soil would be good (organic mulch will help)
- The trellises at the back that would be good for climbing beens and peas
are not used
- Normally I would say save the seeds but since you don't know if they are
worth saving just pull the stuff that has gone to seed and compost
- Won't you be annoyed if the deer (or something else from the forest) take
to the apple trees. Is there any sign of damage?

David