Old 29-07-2010, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Can you identify mystery plant tall stem with star top and large leaves

"Sacha" wrote
victor said:

This plant growing in full sun location Devon , the gardener cannot
identify. photo taken with 12" ruler behind. speckled on underside of
leaves and stem single fleshy stem star shaped head with a collection
if seed pods or flower heads.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/victor.../MysteryPlant#

Looks like a Eucomis comosa. We had them here in pots in our garden in
the South Hams and they were killed off into a horrible slimy mess by last
year's frosts. The ones in the greenhouses, which are only kept at
frost-free level, all survived.

Funny, ours in the ground survived OK, in fact they have doubled themselves
and are looking better this year than they have for years. (I did originally
plant them deep though, probably 10 years or so ago)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden