Old 31-07-2010, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Squirrel repellents

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:56:27 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:09:27 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

Go with the chicken wire collar mentioned by Billy. That works for me,
too.
Cut the wire so there are annoying sharp points sticking up.

It is a good solution, however maybe not for my 80+ pots. Actually I
am now trapping them easily--about 3 to 6 per day using peanut butter
cracker bait, lucky no skunks caught yet.

What's the plan when you catch a skunk? Sell the house? :-)

I use a 15-foot pole (very carefully) to open the trap door.

Houses are not selling here--dont even try. Neither are newly
constructed ones--all have been sittting empty for 12+ months.