Old 31-07-2010, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Treating my lawn for Japanese beetle grubs worth it?

On 27 Jul 2010 13:05:22 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

Japanese beetles have finally obtained enough of a presence in Minnesota
that they're now decimating our shrub roses. Fortunately, they don't seem
to be interested in anything else we're growing.

Would treating my own lawn for beetle grubs be worth the effort, or would I
still be afflicted by the beetles hatching from my neighbor's lawns?

The grubs eat the grass roots causing brown spots to appear. It would
certainly help the lawn if the product is applied in a timely manner.

The J.beetles will fly to your property to sample your roses. I use a
systemic applied to synchronize with the June emergence. It is very
effective. Another method is the catch the beetles manually with a
wide-mouth jar containing a 1/2" of soapy water. Hold the jar
underseath the insect, a small tap, and drowns in the solution.