Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Squirrel repellents

In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jul 26, 8:33*am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a squirrel issue. *They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. * Any idea on how to deter them? *I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3. *

A greyhound and a Jack Russell are quite effective here. They keep 'em
up in the trees where they belong, and if they don't, a pellet or bb
does em in. We back up to woods and there are a never ending supply
of them to keep Pop amused. Gun sits right next to sliding door, and
the dogs know the word Squirrel!!
We just can't afford to feed them the amounts they steal from the
bird feeders. We'd have to declare them dependants on our income
tax!!! Suspect the feds wouldn't be amused!! Nan in DE

My bird feeder has a metal mesh around it that gives chickadees and
wrens access to it. Robins and jays can reach in to the floors, and grab
black oil sunflower seeds as could the squirrel if he could reach it.

The feeder is held up by a pulley and a braided metal string. When I
want to fill the feeder, I lower it, and add seed. In position, the
feeder is 3 feet from the tree. The squirrel can easily jump this
distance, but once at the feeder, he is stuck. If he jumps back to the
tree, the feeder swings away, and the squirrel falls 10 feet. Once has
been enough for the squirrels to learn. Prior to the metal string, the
squirrels would chew through the nylon or twine that I would use. The
feeder would crash to the ground, and the squirrels would help
themselves. Now the squirrels are entertainment, and will come when I
leave a nut out for them, but they have no interest in the bird feeder
any more.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude