Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

Default Pub sign

"Martin" wrote in message
On 31/07/10 20:00, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Going through Tadley near Burghclere in Berkshire we stopped at a pub
called the Pineapple (we were on our way to Penwood Nursery)
Very olde worlde and atmospheric but Very Strange thing - the pub sign,
well painted and clear had The Pineapple on it and a large picture of a
pine cone!

There may be an old photograph of it here.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A...pson&cid=-1#-1

If you find out how to access the photos free do tell us.

Googling Pinapple, Tadley has brings up various photos.

Pineapple's original meaning was related to pine trees and their cones, and
the OED has a regional (though rare) definition as "A pine cone"

Fascinating that 'pineapple' was also a slang term for unemployment
benefit - does anyone want to guess why?