Old 31-07-2010, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pub sign

Going through Tadley near Burghclere in Berkshire we stopped at a pub
called the Pineapple (we were on our way to Penwood Nursery)
Very olde worlde and atmospheric but Very Strange thing - the pub sign,
well painted and clear had The Pineapple on it and a large picture of a
pine cone!

Penwood nursery is well worth visiting, enormous trees of all shapes and
sizes and every rarer one too! Plants were really well grown, no
toiltes/play area/shop/amusments/restaurant - just a barn to pay in.
Shrubs and perennials had a sort of very large cabbage 'collar' on them
to stop weeds in the pots.
Prices were reasonable and people knew what they were doing. Last sight
was one of a couple trying valiantly to get a standard wisteria into
their car

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/10 20:00, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Going through Tadley near Burghclere in Berkshire we stopped at a pub
called the Pineapple (we were on our way to Penwood Nursery)
Very olde worlde and atmospheric but Very Strange thing - the pub sign,
well painted and clear had The Pineapple on it and a large picture of a
pine cone!

Penwood nursery is well worth visiting, enormous trees of all shapes and
sizes and every rarer one too! Plants were really well grown, no
toiltes/play area/shop/amusments/restaurant - just a barn to pay in.
Shrubs and perennials had a sort of very large cabbage 'collar' on them
to stop weeds in the pots.
Prices were reasonable and people knew what they were doing. Last sight
was one of a couple trying valiantly to get a standard wisteria into
their car

Janet

There may be an old photograph of it here.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A...pson&cid=-1#-1

If you find out how to access the photos free do tell us.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Martin" wrote in message
On 31/07/10 20:00, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Going through Tadley near Burghclere in Berkshire we stopped at a pub
called the Pineapple (we were on our way to Penwood Nursery)
Very olde worlde and atmospheric but Very Strange thing - the pub sign,
well painted and clear had The Pineapple on it and a large picture of a
pine cone!

There may be an old photograph of it here.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A...pson&cid=-1#-1

If you find out how to access the photos free do tell us.

Googling Pinapple, Tadley has brings up various photos.

Pineapple's original meaning was related to pine trees and their cones, and
the OED has a regional (though rare) definition as "A pine cone"

Fascinating that 'pineapple' was also a slang term for unemployment
benefit - does anyone want to guess why?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
OG wrote:

Fascinating that 'pineapple' was also a slang term for unemployment

Is architecture the key? :-)

It was also slang for a Mills bomb, but the reason for that is
obvious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...
Going through Tadley near Burghclere in Berkshire we stopped at a pub
called the Pineapple (we were on our way to Penwood Nursery)
Very olde worlde and atmospheric but Very Strange thing - the pub sign,
well painted and clear had The Pineapple on it and a large picture of a
pine cone!

Penwood nursery is well worth visiting, enormous trees of all shapes and
sizes and every rarer one too! Plants were really well grown, no
toiltes/play area/shop/amusments/restaurant - just a barn to pay in.
Shrubs and perennials had a sort of very large cabbage 'collar' on them to
stop weeds in the pots.
Prices were reasonable and people knew what they were doing. Last sight
was one of a couple trying valiantly to get a standard wisteria into their
car

Here's a picture of it... looks inviting...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecat...7607360381716/
But I can't find one of the sign.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

wrote in message
In article ,
OG wrote:

Fascinating that 'pineapple' was also a slang term for unemployment

Is architecture the key? :-)

Nope. More to do with supply.

It was also slang for a Mills bomb, but the reason for that is
obvious.

Indeed, the now familiar fruit was named for its resemblance to the pine
cone.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...
[...]

It's sort of visible here
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/22029364

Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Going through Tadley near Burghclere in Berkshire we stopped at a pub
called the Pineapple (we were on our way to Penwood Nursery)

Actually both these places are in Hampshire, and The Pineapple is at
Brimpton Common, but the postal addresses are Berkshire.

Very olde worlde and atmospheric but Very Strange thing - the pub sign,
well painted and clear had The Pineapple on it and a large picture of a
pine cone!

The problem may be that the art of good pub signs is dying out; partly
because the traditional elaborate ones like coats of arms are expensive
to produce and partly because a lot of modern pub owners have no idea of
history and tend to go for childish signs that attract a particular type
of mentality.

The Hare and Hounds at Speen, on the A4 just west of Newbury, used to
have a good traditional sign of a pack of hounds in hot pursuit of a
hare, but a year or so ago the licensee replaced it with a cartoon-style
picture of a hound serving drinks to a table of sitting hares.

Ridiculous!

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Roy Bailey[_2_
The problem may be that the art of good pub signs is dying out; partly
because the traditional elaborate ones like coats of arms are expensive
to produce and partly because a lot of modern pub owners have no idea of
history and tend to go for childish signs that attract a particular type
of mentality.
There used to be a really nice one at Ilkley which showed (IIRC) on one side a traditional flying duck, and on the other a duck flying Lancaster-like with bombs fastened to its wings. The pub is now under new ownership and renamed The Albert :-(

When I was a kid, I used to 'collect' inn signs, by spotting them on car journeys (I persuaded my parents on quite significant detours), and finding out the histories behind the names - eg how you could get really improbable linkages when one pub took over another and decided to keep both names. I used to know, for example, not just the usual red and white lions, but also a golden lion, a yellow lion and a blue lion - and - to keep on the gardening theme - the Round of Gras.

It's no fun now, as pubs change their names almost on an annual basis and there is no longer any history to find out.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Very Strange thing - the pub sign,
well painted and clear had The Pineapple on it and a large picture of a
pine cone!

Talking about very strange things that look like a cross between a
pineapple and a pine cone ...

While hacking at some brambles, I came across this, about 4" long, quite
firm and at ground level.

http://adslpipe.co.uk/photos/giant.jpg

I first assumed it was a blackberry that had mutated from previous
sprayings, but someone else identified it as a gall, which seems to make
sense, especially as the brambles haven't fruited.

What's the mechanism for things like that to grow? Does the invading
bacteria trigger the plant's "stem cells" and somehow this happens to
have triggered part of the bramble that was destined to become the fruit
to grow like mad?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

O/T but you reminded me of the only grammatically correct English
sentence I know of which contains the word "and" five times in a row.

The publican was inspecting the sign painter's work and declared that
he was unhappy with the word spacing. He said: "I want more space
between George and And and And and Dragon."

Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stan The Man
writes
O/T but you reminded me of the only grammatically correct English
sentence I know of which contains the word "and" five times in a row.

The publican was inspecting the sign painter's work and declared that
he was unhappy with the word spacing. He said: "I want more space
between George and And and And and Dragon."

Love it!

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Allotment agreement with Council - sign or not sign Rajinder Nijjhar United Kingdom 7 20-03-2010 10:05 AM
pub quiz questions Kate Morgan United Kingdom 23 03-07-2009 10:29 PM
pub quiz IV Frank Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:51 PM
Pub re-miner: a tool for PubMed query building and literature mining. jkoster Plant Biology 0 22-02-2006 09:25 PM
No Sign of Spring here in Bronx, Ny Zone 6 MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 09-02-2003 06:55 PM