Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Squirrel repellents

"Nanzi" wrote in message
On Jul 26, 8:33 am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

A greyhound and a Jack Russell are quite effective here. They keep 'em
up in the trees where they belong, and if they don't, a pellet or bb
does em in. We back up to woods and there are a never ending supply
of them to keep Pop amused. Gun sits right next to sliding door, and
the dogs know the word Squirrel!!
We just can't afford to feed them the amounts they steal from the
bird feeders. We'd have to declare them dependants on our income
tax!!! Suspect the feds wouldn't be amused!! Nan in DE

========

The OP seemed more interested in an inanimate object or substance to help
keep squirrels away, not a dog. If he wanted to swap one annoyance for
another, he probably wouldn've done so by now.