Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Rhubarb

Derek Turner wrote:
Yes it's true: the roots need this year to get established and store
energy for next year's shoots. Next and subsequent years you need to stop
harvesting about now to let the remaining leaves store energy in the
roots for the following year IYSWIM.

I think someone posted a while back that you shouldn't harvest rhubarb after
gooseberries are pickable. One of my rhubarbs is absolutely /begging/ to be
picked. It's huge and leafy and slightly triffid-like whilst everyone
else's is dead and gone already.
Am I allowed one last pick, please, mum?