Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb

Can anyone advise me whether it is true that you should not harvest
for consumption the first years stems on rhubarb planted in the Spring
of this year? Thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 07:39:15 -0700, bob wrote:

Can anyone advise me whether it is true that you should not harvest for
consumption the first years stems on rhubarb planted in the Spring of
this year? Thanks

Yes it's true: the roots need this year to get established and store
energy for next year's shoots. Next and subsequent years you need to stop
harvesting about now to let the remaining leaves store energy in the
roots for the following year IYSWIM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Derek Turner wrote:
Yes it's true: the roots need this year to get established and store
energy for next year's shoots. Next and subsequent years you need to stop
harvesting about now to let the remaining leaves store energy in the
roots for the following year IYSWIM.

I think someone posted a while back that you shouldn't harvest rhubarb after
gooseberries are pickable. One of my rhubarbs is absolutely /begging/ to be
picked. It's huge and leafy and slightly triffid-like whilst everyone
else's is dead and gone already.
Am I allowed one last pick, please, mum?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2010 15:39, bob wrote:
Can anyone advise me whether it is true that you should not harvest
for consumption the first years stems on rhubarb planted in the Spring
of this year? Thanks

If you do harvest them, consumption is fine! The reason for not picking
in the first year is to allow the plant to develop a strong healthy root
system which it won't do so well if half the leaves are removed.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

Derek Turner wrote:
Yes it's true: the roots need this year to get established and store
energy for next year's shoots. Next and subsequent years you need to stop
harvesting about now to let the remaining leaves store energy in the
roots for the following year IYSWIM.

I think someone posted a while back that you shouldn't harvest rhubarb after
gooseberries are pickable. One of my rhubarbs is absolutely /begging/ to be
picked. It's huge and leafy and slightly triffid-like whilst everyone
else's is dead and gone already.
Am I allowed one last pick, please, mum?

I raised a query after a BBC gardening email said to stop picking at the
end of June! A few people said that this was correct, and I dont think
anyone disagreed.

However I've always picked my rhubarb until about mid-August and not
noticed a much degradation in crop the following year.

There are two separate issues. The first about picking weakening the
plant applies only to new plants.

The other , is about the level of oxalic acid in rhubarb; which
increases as the growing season progresses, and is the reason it's
recommended not to pick/eat it after midsummer. Especially for the
elderly, small children, and anyone with kidney stones or gout.

Janet

Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote:
Can anyone advise me whether it is true that you should not harvest
for consumption the first years stems on rhubarb planted in the Spring
of this year? Thanks

You shouldn't harvest it at all, or you will weaken the crown.

There's nothing wrong with the quality of the sticks though.

--
Rusty
Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...
Derek Turner wrote:
Yes it's true: the roots need this year to get established and store
energy for next year's shoots. Next and subsequent years you need to stop
harvesting about now to let the remaining leaves store energy in the
roots for the following year IYSWIM.

I think someone posted a while back that you shouldn't harvest rhubarb after
gooseberries are pickable. One of my rhubarbs is absolutely /begging/ to be
picked. It's huge and leafy and slightly triffid-like whilst everyone
else's is dead and gone already.
Am I allowed one last pick, please, mum?

I raised a query after a BBC gardening email said to stop picking at the
end of June! A few people said that this was correct, and I dont think
anyone disagreed.

However I've always picked my rhubarb until about mid-August and not
noticed a much degradation in crop the following year. This year I
thought I maight stop now, after a good picking at the weekend, ........
but if the plants continue to grow as strongly as they seem to be at the
moment, I shall be tempted in a couple of weeks!

Stop picking, and give it a good mulch with well-rotted manure, and
water with a multipurpose fertiliser (if you use such)

Keep well watered and you will be amazed at next year's crop.

--
Rusty
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

There are two separate issues. The first about picking weakening the
plant applies only to new plants.

The other , is about the level of oxalic acid in rhubarb; which
increases as the growing season progresses, and is the reason it's
recommended not to pick/eat it after midsummer. Especially for the
elderly, small children, and anyone with kidney stones or gout.

Or rheumatism or osteoarthritis.

--
Rusty