Old 03-08-2010, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Biochar in the news

Bill who putters wrote:

https://www.agronomy.org/news-media/...2010/0802/396/

"Initially, biochar application produced inconsistent effects. Several
early samples produced greater nitrous oxide emissions and nitrate
leaching than the control samples.

However, during the third wetting*drying cycle, four months after
biochar application, all biochars reduced nitrous oxide emissions by
up to 73%, and reduced ammonium leaching by up to 94%. The researchers
suggest that reductions in nitrous oxide emissions and nitrogen
leaching over time were due to łageing˛ of the biochars in soil."

thanks Bill, i'm always interested in dirty news.

when visiting my Dad the other day he handed me a
book called _The Lost City of Z_, quite a fun read
and i'm sure glad i wasn't an Amazon explorer. i'd not
have lasted more than a few hours...

though it is good to read that the candiru is really not
what the book makes it out to be, still a rather squirmy
read in parts.

songbird