Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jill Bell[_3_] Jill Bell[_3_] is offline

Default Another tomato question

On 05/08/2010 11:55, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In , says...
I just throw them on the compost heap as soon as I find them, in fact I
check the young fruit for defects and dispose of any that have blemishes. We
always grow too many anyway.

Years ago I remember my bother bottling tomatos in Kilner Jars.

A few years back we had such a glut, I dug out an ancient cook book and
found how to do it.

We now bottle all our surplace in 0.5 litre jars and use them through
the year instead of tined tomatos. I don't even bother to skin them (as
recommended) as usually they go into casseroles and the like, so get
plenty of cooking.

Roger T

If you're going to use them in casseroles then an even easier way to
deal with them is to put them in a polybag in the freezer - no need to
blanch or anything.
Jill