Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another tomato question

Some of my plum tomatoes appear to have blossom end rot...

Do I pick them now and compost them or is it worth leaving them on and
cutting the manky bits off?
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ...
Some of my plum tomatoes appear to have blossom end rot...

Do I pick them now and compost them or is it worth leaving them on and
cutting the manky bits off?

I just throw them on the compost heap as soon as I find them, in fact I
check the young fruit for defects and dispose of any that have blemishes. We
always grow too many anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
Some of my plum tomatoes appear to have blossom end rot...

Do I pick them now and compost them or is it worth leaving them on and
cutting the manky bits off?

I've always picked them and thrown them, in the hope that it will encourage
the next fruits to have a better go.

I've tried cutting the manky bits off in the past, but I've found that the
mank tends to go right into the middle, and you're left with very little,
er, non-mank.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
On 05/08/2010 11:55, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In , says...
I just throw them on the compost heap as soon as I find them, in fact I
check the young fruit for defects and dispose of any that have
blemishes. We
always grow too many anyway.

Years ago I remember my bother bottling tomatos in Kilner Jars.

A few years back we had such a glut, I dug out an ancient cook book and
found how to do it.

We now bottle all our surplace in 0.5 litre jars and use them through
the year instead of tined tomatos. I don't even bother to skin them (as
recommended) as usually they go into casseroles and the like, so get
plenty of cooking.

If you're going to use them in casseroles then an even easier way to deal
with them is to put them in a polybag in the freezer - no need to blanch
or anything.

This assumes a large amount of space in the freezer!

Just looked up the price and they are £29.99 for 12 * 1 litre jars at
Lakeland.

Chest freezer at Comet is £139.99 for 3.8 cubic feet or 107.6 litres.

Conveniently, 12 * 9 = 108.

So 9 "12 packs" of Kilner jars hold roughly the same as an entry level chest
freezer from Comet and cost £270 from Lakeland.

Even counting the annual running cost, it looks cheaper to buy another
freezer if you have a lot of produce to store.
Ifyou have over 50 litres of produce, I guess.

Tins come rated in grams not litres, so a comparison is not simple, but if
you produce enough tomatoes to fill the jars or freezer and you expect to
use on average a litre of cooked tomatoes a week then a freezer seems the
way to go.

Nowoff to get a life!

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , jill1454
@invalidgooglemail.com says...
If you're going to use them in casseroles then an even easier way to
deal with them is to put them in a polybag in the freezer - no need to
blanch or anything.
Jill

If you've got room!

Mines full of soft fruit and local lamb!

Roger T