Old 05-08-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tussocks

In message ], Chris ]
writes
How can I get rid of tussocks in rough grass?

The idea is to turn it into lawn by simply mowing.

However, there are some tussocks - about eight inches or so across -
made of extremely dense grass.
Driving the lawnmower over them can sometimes even stall the motor.

What actually is a tussock?

A tussock is the growth habit of some forms of grass (and sedge).

And how can they be defeated?

I suggest digging them up, filling in the hole, and reseeding. You could
kill off the tussocks with glyphosate, but you've still got to get lawn
grasses to establish in their dense root masses.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley