Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tussocks

How can I get rid of tussocks in rough grass?

The idea is to turn it into lawn by simply mowing.

However, there are some tussocks - about eight inches or so across -
made of extremely dense grass.
Driving the lawnmower over them can sometimes even stall the motor.

What actually is a tussock?
And how can they be defeated?
--
Chris
Old 05-08-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ], Chris ]
writes
How can I get rid of tussocks in rough grass?

The idea is to turn it into lawn by simply mowing.

However, there are some tussocks - about eight inches or so across -
made of extremely dense grass.
Driving the lawnmower over them can sometimes even stall the motor.

What actually is a tussock?

A tussock is the growth habit of some forms of grass (and sedge).

And how can they be defeated?

I suggest digging them up, filling in the hole, and reseeding. You could
kill off the tussocks with glyphosate, but you've still got to get lawn
grasses to establish in their dense root masses.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-08-2010, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
How can I get rid of tussocks in rough grass?

The idea is to turn it into lawn by simply mowing.

However, there are some tussocks - about eight inches or so across - made
of extremely dense grass.
Driving the lawnmower over them can sometimes even stall the motor.

What actually is a tussock?
And how can they be defeated?

You don't say what kind of mower you are using.
A reasonably robust petrol driven rotary mower will usually just chop the
tops off tussocks, although if the soil is full of stones then you could
suffer collateral damage.

Apart from that, as Stewart says you just remove them by hand.

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" wrote
How can I get rid of tussocks in rough grass?

The idea is to turn it into lawn by simply mowing.

However, there are some tussocks - about eight inches or so across - made
of extremely dense grass.
Driving the lawnmower over them can sometimes even stall the motor.

What actually is a tussock?
And how can they be defeated?

Chop them out with a mattock or spade, fill the holes left and reseed or
trim right down with a strong strimmer/brushcutter.
It's a rough grass so not any good for a lawn anyway and constant mowing
will eventually get rid of it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden