Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Downie View Post
Kay

Thanks for that - there are a couple of rogue potato plants that have sprung up from last year's compost and I initially thought it was a potatoe but it is quite odd in that the leaves are smaller and smooth as opposed to the usual bristly larger leaves on the potato plant. Additionally there are these white flowers and unripened berries growing quite close.

I assume it is not possible for a tomato to cross pollinate with a potato? The odd thing is that the berry looks like the tomato plant (as do the leaves) but the flower and general size of the plant look like a potato.

Sorry about phot but best I could do on a camera phone.

Steve
the other posters are right, it could well be a potato, though I thought the flowers were a bit on the small side. The berry looks like a tomato because the two are related. Potato berries grow to a bit larger than hazelnut size, and are poisonous.