Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Registered User

Default Unknown plant help!

Please see attached photo of a branch of a plant I found growing in my plot - amongst strawberries, rhubarb and potatoes.

I thought it might be a potatoe plant but it is very strange and as well as these white flowers have these small green berries that are forming.

Dont want to dive to the base in case I disturb something good.

Can anyone give me some advice on what it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown plant help!-022.jpg
Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Downie View Post
Please see attached photo of a branch of a plant I found growing in my plot - amongst strawberries, rhubarb and potatoes.

I thought it might be a potatoe plant but it is very strange and as well as these white flowers have these small green berries that are forming.

Dont want to dive to the base in case I disturb something good.

Can anyone give me some advice on what it is?
Certainly same family as potato (Solanaceae). Picture not good enough for a firm identification but I'd hazard a guess at one of the nightshades, possibly black nightshade.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stephen Downie wrote:
I thought it might be a potatoe plant but it is very strange and as well
as these white flowers have these small green berries that are forming.

It's a potato. Don't eat the berries. Also, watch out for something very
similar but slightly darker (leaves and berries), which is nightshade. We
get a lot of nightshade where potatoes have been growing previously, not
/entirely/ sure why (I presume it's something to do with leaving potatoes to
grow, so because they are similar they don't get weeded out - or possibly
trying to optomise growing conditions for potatoes means we get a
nightshade-friendly patch, which helps them establish)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Certainly same family as potato (Solanaceae). Picture not good enough for a firm identification but I'd hazard a guess at one of the nightshades, possibly black nightshade.
Kay

Thanks for that - there are a couple of rogue potato plants that have sprung up from last year's compost and I initially thought it was a potatoe but it is quite odd in that the leaves are smaller and smooth as opposed to the usual bristly larger leaves on the potato plant. Additionally there are these white flowers and unripened berries growing quite close.

I assume it is not possible for a tomato to cross pollinate with a potato? The odd thing is that the berry looks like the tomato plant (as do the leaves) but the flower and general size of the plant look like a potato.

Sorry about phot but best I could do on a camera phone.

Steve
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Downie View Post
Kay

Thanks for that - there are a couple of rogue potato plants that have sprung up from last year's compost and I initially thought it was a potatoe but it is quite odd in that the leaves are smaller and smooth as opposed to the usual bristly larger leaves on the potato plant. Additionally there are these white flowers and unripened berries growing quite close.

I assume it is not possible for a tomato to cross pollinate with a potato? The odd thing is that the berry looks like the tomato plant (as do the leaves) but the flower and general size of the plant look like a potato.

Sorry about phot but best I could do on a camera phone.

Steve
the other posters are right, it could well be a potato, though I thought the flowers were a bit on the small side. The berry looks like a tomato because the two are related. Potato berries grow to a bit larger than hazelnut size, and are poisonous.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Downie wrote:

Thanks for that - there are a couple of rogue potato plants that have
sprung up from last year's compost and I initially thought it was a
potatoe but it is quite odd in that the leaves are smaller and smooth as
opposed to the usual bristly larger leaves on the potato plant.
Additionally there are these white flowers and unripened berries growing
quite close.

VERY small berries? Look up Solanum nigrum - a common weed.

I assume it is not possible for a tomato to cross pollinate with a
potato? The odd thing is that the berry looks like the tomato plant (as
do the leaves) but the flower and general size of the plant look like a
potato.

It's been done in the laboratory, I believe, but effectively doesn't
happen. However, potato berries DO look exactly like tomatoes!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 8 Aug, 08:58, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Stephen Downie wrote:

[...]

It's a nightshade, not potato or tomato a Nightshade, probably Black
nightshade I'd get rid of it.
David Hill
Old 11-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Downie View Post
Please see attached photo of a branch of a plant I found growing in my plot - amongst strawberries, rhubarb and potatoes.

I thought it might be a potatoe plant but it is very strange and as well as these white flowers have these small green berries that are forming.
Congrats on being a rare person to pose such a question and not to have Nolanea solanoides (shoo-fly plant). I think Dave Hill has the best answer, as is often the case.

Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ? FilGee Gardening 6 12-12-2012 09:55 PM
unknown plant... HELP!! blossom hill Gardening 8 16-06-2012 04:03 AM
Unknown plant si_mats United Kingdom 7 26-01-2004 11:20 PM
Help identify unknown plant material Ronald Plant Biology 2 10-09-2003 09:23 PM
I found what my unknown trailing plant was!!! [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2003 11:20 PM