Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Unknown plant help!

On 8 Aug, 08:58, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Stephen Downie wrote:

Thanks for that - there are a couple of rogue potato plants that have
sprung up from last year's compost and I initially thought it was a
potatoe but it is quite odd in that the leaves are smaller and smooth as
opposed to the usual bristly larger leaves on the potato plant.
Additionally there are these white flowers and unripened berries growing
quite close.

VERY small berries? *Look up Solanum nigrum - a common weed.

I assume it is not possible for a tomato to cross pollinate with a
potato? *The odd thing is that the berry looks like the tomato plant (as
do the leaves) but the flower and general size of the plant look like a
potato.

It's been done in the laboratory, I believe, but effectively doesn't
happen. *However, potato berries DO look exactly like tomatoes!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It's a nightshade, not potato or tomato a Nightshade, probably Black
nightshade I'd get rid of it.
David Hill