Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
This was seen growing, apparently spontaneously, at the edge of a garden
access road. My best guess is sneezewort (Achillea ptarmica), but it
doesn't seem quite right - the habit is too compact, and the leaves too
short. Any other offers.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Compos06.jpg

The other leaves in the photograph are Solanum nigrum.
You're right, I wouldn't have looked at that and said immediately "sneezewort". But there isn't anything totally wrong for sneezewort apart from the small size. And there aren't any obvious alternatives.

There is a possibility that it's a seedling of a garden variety growing in adverse circumstances. Following that thought, I've done a google image search and more or less convinced myself that it is indeed sneezewort.