Old 14-08-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default lawn unwanted rampant plant

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
lid says...
I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more
vigorously.

http://tinypic.com/r/14cv7tk/4

Would prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what
chemicals to use please? Thanks for advice.

Looks like "Self Heal" Prunella vulgaris close mowing will discourage it
but weedkiller is the only way to get rid of it, I rather like it so it
gets to stay with all the other weeds which form my green patch
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall

Right plant but wrong solution surely!

Self Heal, daisy and other typical lawn weeds are so because they *like*
being mown. Just look at the wonderful display of daisies in our parks
between mowings! Self Heal spreads by runners, and mowing encourages them.
If you don't want to use a weedkiller, better to let them grow up (They form
beautiful orchid-like heads up to knee high.) so you can see the individual
plants and pull them up. After that, diligence with your weeding. However,
I don't really understand the desire for grass-only or close-mown lawns: in
times of drought, the weeds such as clover and self heal, keep the lawn
looking green whilst the grass turns brown, and close mowing gives the
broad-leaved weeds the chance to spread over what is to them effectively
bare ground.

Let the weeds flower and the bees will come back, and your lawn will be a
spectacular colour display instead of barren green:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/113813...KCLnuXNrtebZA#