Old 14-08-2010, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default lawn unwanted rampant plant

I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more vigorously.

http://tinypic.com/r/14cv7tk/4

Would prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what
chemicals to use please? Thanks for advice.

Old 14-08-2010, 01:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , john hamilton
writes
I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more vigorously.

http://tinypic.com/r/14cv7tk/4

Would prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what
chemicals to use please? Thanks for advice.

Chemical:

Try Verdone spray for spot treatment:

http://www.lovethegarden.com/product...a-ready-to-use

Btw you want to use the 'direct' link from tinypic for NGs:

http://i37.tinypic.com/14cv7tk.jpg
--
fred
Old 14-08-2010, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
lid says...
I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more vigorously.

http://tinypic.com/r/14cv7tk/4

Would prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what
chemicals to use please? Thanks for advice.

Looks like "Self Heal" Prunella vulgaris close mowing will discourage it
but weedkiller is the only way to get rid of it, I rather like it so it
gets to stay with all the other weeds which form my green patch
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-08-2010, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 14 Aug, 12:43, "john hamilton" wrote:
I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more vigorously..

http://tinypic.com/r/14cv7tk/4

Would prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what
chemicals to use please? * *Thanks for advice.

Dunno what it is. What you need is a selective weedkiller. "Pastor"
kills everything except grass. It's intended for use on pastureland.
You will have to get it from an agricultural supplier.
Unfortunatelythy only sell giant bottles. Lifetime supply unless you
can share with someone.
Old 14-08-2010, 04:16 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
Looks like "Self Heal" Prunella vulgaris close mowing will discourage it
but weedkiller is the only way to get rid of it, I rather like it so it
gets to stay with all the other weeds which form my green patch
Yes, self-heal. Pretty thing, isn't it?

Old 14-08-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
lid says...
I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more
vigorously.

http://tinypic.com/r/14cv7tk/4

Would prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what
chemicals to use please? Thanks for advice.

Looks like "Self Heal" Prunella vulgaris close mowing will discourage it
but weedkiller is the only way to get rid of it, I rather like it so it
gets to stay with all the other weeds which form my green patch
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall

Right plant but wrong solution surely!

Self Heal, daisy and other typical lawn weeds are so because they *like*
being mown. Just look at the wonderful display of daisies in our parks
between mowings! Self Heal spreads by runners, and mowing encourages them.
If you don't want to use a weedkiller, better to let them grow up (They form
beautiful orchid-like heads up to knee high.) so you can see the individual
plants and pull them up. After that, diligence with your weeding. However,
I don't really understand the desire for grass-only or close-mown lawns: in
times of drought, the weeds such as clover and self heal, keep the lawn
looking green whilst the grass turns brown, and close mowing gives the
broad-leaved weeds the chance to spread over what is to them effectively
bare ground.

Let the weeds flower and the bees will come back, and your lawn will be a
spectacular colour display instead of barren green:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/113813...KCLnuXNrtebZA#

Old 14-08-2010, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Aug, 16:16, kay wrote:
Yes, self-heal. Pretty thing, isn't it?

I like it a lot. I've got several patches of it, and would not dream
of trying to remove it. The flowers are popular with bees and
butterflies, and remember being told at school that it was an
indicator of roman settlement, as legions used to carry it and plant
it for medicinal reasons. I doubt that any such link, if it was ever
true, can be made now because it is so widespread.

Old 15-08-2010, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 14 Aug, 12:43, "john hamilton" wrote:
I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more vigorously.

http://tinypic.com/r/14cv7tk/4

Would prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what
chemicals to use please? Thanks for advice.

Dunno what it is. What you need is a selective weedkiller. "Pastor"
kills everything except grass. It's intended for use on pastureland.
You will have to get it from an agricultural supplier.#

BE VERY CAREFUL

SOME of those types of weedkillers do NOT break down quickly, and as we
found to our cost, the grass itself if eaten by horses and other
livestock, and passed through or the raw grass cuttings, still contain
the herbicide, which is perfectly capable of ruining all your vegetable
crops until bacterial actions breaks it down, which may take several years.

Fortunately although they didn't compensate us Dow Agrochemicals at
least came and picked up all the contaminated compost..

Not sure if your product contains it, but the noxious problem was
Aminopyrolid.

Its a fine way to knock weeds out of grass, but the weeds, the grass,
and any crap from any animal that eats either, will be contaminated
until the lignin in the cells totally degrades and releases the stuff to
break down in the air.

Old 15-08-2010, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Spamlet"
saying something like:

Let the weeds flower and the bees will come back, and your lawn will be a
spectacular colour display instead of barren green:

My type of gardening!

rampant bluebells chaz United Kingdom 6 30-04-2004 12:05 PM
How to get rid of rampant mint? hkw United Kingdom 11 23-04-2004 10:36 AM
how to stop rampant bamboo growth Joe C (free agent acct) Bamboo 8 23-04-2004 02:06 AM
Rampant Strawberries Wilson Lamb North Carolina 5 18-05-2003 01:08 AM
Help Identify a Rampant Mystery Vine? John McGaw Gardening 9 03-04-2003 08:20 PM