Old 15-08-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Buddleija identity 2 and Fuchsia ident Please

On 2010-08-14 23:10:32 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Having sorted out Sachas mystery Buddleija can anyone help with a name
for my mystery one
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/BudleijaUnk...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/BudleijaUnk...

My other request is for a name for this Fuchsia, it came from a
Fuchsia tree I saw being felled in Swansea several years ago, it had a
trunk of well over 6 inches and was around 10 ft tall and the same
wide.
Tough, good grower and very floriferous.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/Fuchsiatree...
Thanks in advance
David Hill

F. excorticata? I believe that's the largest Fuchsia in the world. *
Does it have peeling bark and blue pollen? *It's not reliably hardy in
UK but does ome through the winter in warmer locations. *It's aka the
Fuchsia tree.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Following up on the idea of Buddleija curviflora. I found this name
Buddleja japonica just with 2 links, the pics match.
Just remembered that the RHS hade a small trial of Buddleija at
Wisley, and I hope to go back there early Sept. I was there the other
day, I called in after taking the wife to Gatwick Airport

Re the fuchsia, ther seems to be so much confusion betweem F.
Magalenica and F. Riccartonii' when you look in Google images, you
find both totaly mixed.
These 3 are confusing
The first is http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iccartonii.jpg

The second was bought years ago as Riccartonii Alba, But I doubt it
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...niialbaNot.jpg

The 3rd is the one I am trying to name
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...hsiatree02.jpg

A group of them together
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...xedgroup01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...xedgroup02.jpg

Its not F. excorticata Sacha, I had that a few years ago and lost it
in a mild winter, the flowers were not the same.
David Hill