Old 14-08-2010, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Buddleija identity 2 and Fuchsia ident Please

Having sorted out Sachas mystery Buddleija can anyone help with a name
for my mystery one
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aUnknown01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aUnknown02.jpg

My other request is for a name for this Fuchsia, it came from a
Fuchsia tree I saw being felled in Swansea several years ago, it had a
trunk of well over 6 inches and was around 10 ft tall and the same
wide.
Tough, good grower and very floriferous.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...uchsiatree.jpg
Thanks in advance
David Hill
Old 15-08-2010, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

From the pic, the Fuchsia looks a lot like 'Riccartonii' to me David.
'Stumpier', less gracile flowers than magellanica, but the same colour
range and similar, extremely vigorous growth if allowed to grow
unchecked.

That Buddleia has been really vexing me since you posted the pics
yesterday. I'm sure I've seen it before, but couldn't for the life of
me remember when, where or what its specific name was. Funny how
things come to you, but I was doing the washing-up earlier and
suddenly Oxford Botanical garden came to mind, which is where I got an
unidentified S. African Lobelia (and would love to get it back if I
could find it - still don't know the name) and it is also where I'm
sure I saw your Buddleia curviflora. I can't find any pics to verify
it, but am pretty sure that's what it is. It might be worth
contacting Nat. Collection holders who appear to be Longstock Park
Nursery and who also list this species.
Old 15-08-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/BudleijaUnk...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/BudleijaUnk...

My other request is for a name for this Fuchsia, it came from a
Fuchsia tree I saw being felled in Swansea several years ago, it had a
trunk of well over 6 inches and was around 10 ft tall and the same
wide.
Tough, good grower and very floriferous.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/Fuchsiatree...
Thanks in advance
David Hill

F. excorticata? I believe that's the largest Fuchsia in the world. *
Does it have peeling bark and blue pollen? *It's not reliably hardy in
UK but does ome through the winter in warmer locations. *It's aka the
Fuchsia tree.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Following up on the idea of Buddleija curviflora. I found this name
Buddleja japonica just with 2 links, the pics match.
Just remembered that the RHS hade a small trial of Buddleija at
Wisley, and I hope to go back there early Sept. I was there the other
day, I called in after taking the wife to Gatwick Airport

Re the fuchsia, ther seems to be so much confusion betweem F.
Magalenica and F. Riccartonii' when you look in Google images, you
find both totaly mixed.
These 3 are confusing
The first is http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iccartonii.jpg

The second was bought years ago as Riccartonii Alba, But I doubt it
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...niialbaNot.jpg

The 3rd is the one I am trying to name
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...hsiatree02.jpg

A group of them together
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...xedgroup01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...xedgroup02.jpg

Its not F. excorticata Sacha, I had that a few years ago and lost it
in a mild winter, the flowers were not the same.
David Hill
Old 15-08-2010, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Following up on the idea of Buddleija *curviflora. *I found this name
Buddleja japonica just with 2 links, the pics match.
Just remembered that the RHS hade a small trial of Buddleija at
Wisley, and I hope to go back there early Sept. I was there the other
day, I called in after taking the wife to Gatwick Airport

I understand that B. japonica and curvifolia are synonymous. I tried
to discover the correct current name, but it is not listed in the Kew
Checklist, so I stuck with the name I fist knew. I'll drop Raphael
Govaerts a line and see what the current ruling is.

Re the fuchsia, ther seems to be so much confusion betweem F.
Magalenica and F. Riccartonii' when you look in Google images, you
find both totaly mixed.

Which is why I try to steer clear of Google and never use it to
identify a plant unless it is to source an image for confirmation from
a 'safe' web site. It's OK for basic things and TBH the magellanica
types should be in that category. Unfortunately, folks will publish
pics on the web with the wrong names or omit on an important part of
the name. I've just had a look around and am amazed at the wealth of
inconsistencies and inaccuracies. Even the 'wikis' - those supposed
'authoritative information' sources, have it wrong. There again, any
Tom, Dick or Harry can post unchallenged and that is what has happened
in this instance. I'm sure you've seen the same with species Dahlias
and early hybrids.

'Riccartonii' was a very popular hedging Fuchsia during the '50s
through to the early '70s and largely replaced 'straight' magellanica
for this purpose because of its more substantial flowers and denser,
more compact growth. It was often treated as a variety of
magellanica, but I feel sure it is a primary hybrid with that species
as a parent. Fashions changed and deciduous flowering hedges were
superceded by evergreen ones and 'Riccartonii' more or less fell out
of favour. It's not often seen in the trade nowadays, which is a pity
because it is a good, hardy shrub, with nice dark foliage and can be
easily controlled in a confined space. Left to its own devices, it
will develop into a rather handsome small tree and is all the better
for being allowed to do so.

Old 15-08-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Dave Hill wrote:
A group of them togetherhttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Budleija/Mixedgroup0...http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/Mixedgroup0...

From left to right they are F. magellanica, F. magellanica 'alba' & F.
'Riccartonii'

Old 15-08-2010, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 4c39bb9b-5dbf-404e-85ef-
,
says...
Having sorted out Sachas mystery Buddleija can anyone help with a name
for my mystery one
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aUnknown01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...aUnknown02.jpg

My other request is for a name for this Fuchsia, it came from a
Fuchsia tree I saw being felled in Swansea several years ago, it had a
trunk of well over 6 inches and was around 10 ft tall and the same
wide.
Tough, good grower and very floriferous.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...uchsiatree.jpg
Thanks in advance
David Hill

Buddleja lindleyana, suckers but very attractive, not scented.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 15-08-2010, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 32d942b1-0246-4776-b42b-
,
says...
On 15 Aug, 10:17, Sacha wrote:
On 2010-08-14 23:10:32 +0100, Dave Hill said:

[...]

Its not buddleja japonica which I also have as that has drooping panicles
and a more lilac colour
Old 15-08-2010, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-08-14 23:10:32 +0100, Dave Hill said:

[...]

The first ishttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Budleija/Riccartonii...

The second was bought years ago as Riccartonii Alba, But I doubt it
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/Riccartonii...

The 3rd is the one I am trying to name
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/Fuchsiatree...

A group of them together
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/Mixedgroup0...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ja/Mixedgroup0...

Its not F. excorticata Sacha, I had that a few years ago and lost it
in a mild winter, the flowers were not the same.
David Hill

Its not buddleja japonica which I also have as that has drooping panicles
and a more lilac colour
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

Charlie
The picture was taken with sun on it, I will post another taken
shaded, the panicles were lax on the plant I got my cutting from.
I havn't tried it for scent,
I'll check.
David Hill
Old 15-08-2010, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Aug, 13:05, Dave Poole wrote:
*Dave Hill wrote:
A group of them togetherhttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Budleija/Mixedgroup0......

From left to right they are F. magellanica, F. magellanica 'alba' & F.
'Riccartonii'

Thanks Dave
That has been in my mind that it was Magellanica, but having had Alba
from a well known Fuschia Nursery that I have known for over 30 years
and them calling it Riccartonii Alba, well who was I to argue, but
I've still had my doubts.
My only reservation has been that the flowers of what I've been
calling "Tree" were more robust, and stout than Alba.
I always try to check plant names when I get new plants but it's not
always possible, I'd rather sell a plant unnamed than with the wrong
name.
David Hill
Old 15-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
*Dave Hill wrote:
A group of them togetherhttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Budleija/Mixedgroup0......

From left to right they are F. magellanica, F. magellanica 'alba' & F.
'Riccartonii'

Thanks Dave
That has been in my mind that it was Magellanica, but having had Alba
from a well known Fuschia Nursery that I have known for over 30 years
and them calling it Riccartonii Alba, well who was I to argue, but
I've still had my doubts.
My only reservation has been that the flowers of what I've been
calling "Tree" were more robust, and stout than Alba.
I always try to check plant names when I get new plants but it's not
always possible, I'd rather sell a plant unnamed than with the wrong
name.
David Hill
The Buddleja could well be B. caryopteridifolia, but I would really like to see the leaves and their arrangement on the stems more clearly.

Old 15-08-2010, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

Isn't F. Riccartonii the traditional Devon hedging one? *Or is that F.
magellanica?!

Well, in some spots F. magellanica is as naturalised here (Devon) as
it is in Ireland. There's a 4m. high one out in the lane, hanging
over my fence and proving that winters like the last have to be a
darned sight more severe to have any effect. There are quite a few
'Riccartonii' hedges surrounding older gardens down here, but I'm not
sure I'd go quite so far as to call it the traditional Devon hedging.
If the truth be known, I've always preferred F. magellanica 'alba' to
all of the rest - despite having absolutely no admiration for any of
the the pink shades, irrespective of their palor. I just love the way
it drips!