Old 15-08-2010, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Buddleija identity 2 and Fuchsia ident Please

Sacha wrote:

Isn't F. Riccartonii the traditional Devon hedging one? *Or is that F.
magellanica?!

Well, in some spots F. magellanica is as naturalised here (Devon) as
it is in Ireland. There's a 4m. high one out in the lane, hanging
over my fence and proving that winters like the last have to be a
darned sight more severe to have any effect. There are quite a few
'Riccartonii' hedges surrounding older gardens down here, but I'm not
sure I'd go quite so far as to call it the traditional Devon hedging.
If the truth be known, I've always preferred F. magellanica 'alba' to
all of the rest - despite having absolutely no admiration for any of
the the pink shades, irrespective of their palor. I just love the way
it drips!