Old 16-08-2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Saving seeds

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get really ripe
on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a little. Then I
extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up as much of the
slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a tea towel to dry. They
dried up into little shriveled bits that bore almost no resemblance to a
seed at all. They sure do not look like they will be viable. Is there
something I am missing here?

Sometimes you need a book.

" Seed to Seed " By Suzanne Ashworth

Sometimes you need Charlie or Billy to weigh in.

I like "Plants-a- plenty" but I'm bookish.

So bottom line I'd try to sprout 10 seeds.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org