Old 16-08-2010, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Saving seeds

There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get really ripe
on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a little. Then I
extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up as much of the
slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a tea towel to dry. They
dried up into little shriveled bits that bore almost no resemblance to a
seed at all. They sure do not look like they will be viable. Is there
something I am missing here?

Old 16-08-2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get really ripe
on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a little. Then I
extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up as much of the
slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a tea towel to dry. They
dried up into little shriveled bits that bore almost no resemblance to a
seed at all. They sure do not look like they will be viable. Is there
something I am missing here?

Sometimes you need a book.

" Seed to Seed " By Suzanne Ashworth

Sometimes you need Charlie or Billy to weigh in.

I like "Plants-a- plenty" but I'm bookish.

So bottom line I'd try to sprout 10 seeds.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 16-08-2010, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get really
ripe on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a little. Then
I extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up as much of the
slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a tea towel to dry. They
dried up into little shriveled bits that bore almost no resemblance to a
seed at all. They sure do not look like they will be viable. Is there
something I am missing here?

were they fertilized seeds? Sounds like not.

Old 16-08-2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get really
ripe
on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a little. Then I
extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up as much of the
slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a tea towel to dry. They
dried up into little shriveled bits that bore almost no resemblance to a
seed at all. They sure do not look like they will be viable. Is there
something I am missing here?

Sometimes you need a book.

" Seed to Seed " By Suzanne Ashworth

Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable
Gardeners,
by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy
http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Growing-T...rdeners/dp/188
2424581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238951517&sr=1-1
Available at a library near you.

I like "Plants-a- plenty" but I'm bookish.

Plants-a-Plenty: How to Multiply Outdoor and Indoor Plants Through
Cuttings, Crown and Root Divisions, Grafting, Layering, and Seeds by
Catharine Osgood Foster (Hardcover -*Jul 21, 1977)
1 new from $93.58 35 used from $0.01 $3.99 shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Plants---Plent...visions/dp/087
8571566/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281991011&sr=1-1

Not available at my library (

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
http://english.aljazeera.net/video/m...515308172.html
Old 16-08-2010, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:01:04 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get really ripe
on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a little. Then I
extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up as much of the
slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a tea towel to dry. They
dried up into little shriveled bits that bore almost no resemblance to a
seed at all. They sure do not look like they will be viable. Is there
something I am missing here?

I don't suggest saving seed from home grown vegetables
except as a for-fun experiment. Years ago I've done it but only in a
very few instances and by pure luck did my saved seed replicate. One
thing I learned is not to use saved seed except in a totally separate
garden.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...bles/seed.html

Old 16-08-2010, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get
really ripe on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a
little. Then I extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned
up as much of the slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a
tea towel to dry. They dried up into little shriveled bits that
bore almost no resemblance to a seed at all. They sure do not look
like they will be viable. Is there something I am missing here?

I don't suggest saving seed from home grown vegetables
except as a for-fun experiment. Years ago I've done it but only in a
very few instances and by pure luck did my saved seed replicate. One
thing I learned is not to use saved seed except in a totally separate
garden.

This says nothing about the benefits of seed saving and everything about
your own inadequacy. It is quite possible to save your own seeds and with a
little skill and knowledge to get excellent results.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...bles/seed.html

Re this article:

1) Nobody in their right mind suggests you save seed from hybrids. The
books on the subject and posters to this NG have said repeatedly not to.

2 & 3) Unless you plant several cultivars which are capable of hybridisation
_and_ they are flowering at the same time there is no need to worry about
cross pollination. It is an issue to be considered but it is by no means a
show-stopper.

Please stop generalising your own failures of understanding and lack of
skills. Just because you failed years ago doesn't mean it can't be done.

For those lurking who may think I am being harsh this is far from the first
time brooklyn has been quite misleading.

David

Old 17-08-2010, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage. I wanted to
preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong cucumbers so I let one get
really ripe on the vine to the point it was starting to decompose a
little. Then I extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up
as much of the slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on a tea
towel to dry. They dried up into little shriveled bits that bore
almost no resemblance to a seed at all. They sure do not look like
they will be viable. Is there something I am missing here?

I don't suppose you could post a close up picture?

Cucumber seeds sometimes do look rather shrunken although they should still
look like a seed. If they are thin this doesn't necessarily mean they are
no good. As others have said you need to test them and find out. A fat
cucumber should have several dozen (if not hundred) seeds. Even though this
is towards the end of your growing season you can afford to waste a dozen to
satisfy your curiosity. If they are no good start worrying then about what
went wrong.

David

Old 17-08-2010, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

There must be some trick to preparing seeds for storage.
I wanted to preserve some seeds from my Red Hmong
cucumbers so I let one get really ripe on the vine to the
point it was starting to decompose a little. Then I
extracted the seeds, washed thoroughly and cleaned up as
much of the slippery pulp as I could. Then I set them on
a tea towel to dry. They dried up into little shriveled
bits that bore almost no resemblance to a seed at all.
They sure do not look like they will be viable. Is there
something I am missing here?

I think you might have extracted the seeds to soon. Your
cucmbers were
probably decomposing a little as the seeds were taking in
all the nutrients.
Try leaving the seeds alone until the cuke is completely
dried out and
thus help ensuring that the seed has taken from the vine as
much that is
needed until planting time again. I store my seeds in
plastic sandwich
bags but leave the bag open. Keep in cool place over winter
then back
into the ground.

Donna
in WA

Old 22-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Registered User

Well dude that's a long procedure, its better if you read some books to know that better

Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered User

Gardening is a beautiful habit and hobby to follow as it gives content to the heart and peace to the mind. Even I have a small garden in my backyard. Gardens are very soothing to eyes. This kind of beautiful gardens are very tough to build and maintain.
__________________
cannabis seeds
Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered User

Seed sowing is the first step towards gardening. Gardening is a beautiful habit and hobby to follow as it gives content to the heart and peace to the mind. Even I have a small garden in my backyard but it is a pond garden.
Pond Liners
Old 21-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered User

I don't advance extenuative berry from home developed vegetables except as a for-fun experiment. Years ago I've done it but alone in a very few instances and by authentic luck did my adored berry replicate. One thing I abstruse is not to use adored berry except in a absolutely separate garden.
How To Use Grow Lights