Old 21-08-2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dutch Graham Dutch Graham is offline

Default chilies again

Wow! what a great idea smoked chilies, thanks.
Cloggie

"Thos" schreef in bericht
m...
I'm in North Texas and have a lot of experience with habaneros. Yes, they
are very hot, but the heat is not a lingering heat but short lived. They
have a very distinctive taste and are a very important flavor element in
Caribbean and Jamaican style food. (jerk chicken...etc) Habaneros do not
dry well and are prone to rotting. The best method I've found is to cut
off the stem end and remove the seeds and internal ribs with tweezers and
smoke them very slowly. I have a Weber kettle grill. I made a small
charcoal fire on one side of the grill and put the peppers on the opposite
side from the fire. I have lots of mesquite on my property, but you can
use any wood you choose to smoke them. Low and slow is the key on heat.
Once they are dried they will be very dark and mahogany colored. Let them
cool and put in a jar. They will keep for years. I chop them into almost
a powder and put them in chili, stew...whatever. They add a deep smoky
flavor and certainly add heat. They are wonderful, but the most important
thing to remember when working with these peppers.....either use latex or
some sort of gloves when working with them, or wash your hands a lot,
because you WILL get them in your eyes, nose or other tender body parts
and they will get your attention...
enjoy....

"Graham" wrote in message
A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers,
well first of all here are the results thanks for your help,
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html
But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest 20
to 30 within weeks, and hopefully more to
follow. I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I do
with them? I can think of 3 options,
Can I freeze chili peppers?
How does one dry chili peppers?
Has anybody ever pickled chili peppers?
I have been to various cooking groups, no replies.
Thanks
Graham
www.hutson.nl