Old 20-08-2010, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default chilies again

A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers,
well first of all here are the results thanks for your help,
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html
But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest 20 to
30 within weeks, and hopefully more to
follow. I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I do
with them? I can think of 3 options,
Can I freeze chili peppers?
How does one dry chili peppers?
Has anybody ever pickled chili peppers?
I have been to various cooking groups, no replies.
Thanks
Graham
www.hutson.nl

Old 20-08-2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Graham" wrote:

A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers,
well first of all here are the results thanks for your help,
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html
But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest 20 to
30 within weeks, and hopefully more to
follow. I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I do
with them? I can think of 3 options,

How does one dry chili peppers?

Graham
www.hutson.nl

Well if your dew point is 40 F. You could pull the plants and hang
them upside down in a dry place. Very traditional .

http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/aln29/soleri.html

http://www.infowest.com/business/g/gentle/storage.html

Otherwise a food dehydrator would be a consideration. Do chiles ,
fruits, meats etc. We do pears, pineapple, peaches, apples once did
green peppers.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...g-a-Food-Dehyd
rator.aspx

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 20-08-2010, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" schreef in bericht
In article ,
"Graham" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill plenty of ideas, somebody on a cookery group said she makes
pickled relish with Jalopeno peppers, I have asked for a recipe.
Graham

Old 20-08-2010, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Rick" schreef in bericht
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:16:35 +0200, "Graham"
wrote:

A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers,
well first of all here are the results thanks for your help,
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html
But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest 20
30 within weeks, and hopefully more to
follow. I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I do
with them? I can think of 3 options,
Can I freeze chili peppers?
How does one dry chili peppers?
Has anybody ever pickled chili peppers?
I have been to various cooking groups, no replies.
Thanks
Graham
www.hutson.nl

I pickle Jalapeno peppers, but habenaros would be quite hot. If you
can or pickle any other types of veggies you might try adding a pepper
to the jar. I like pickled cauliflower with a habenaro added. It
gives a zing. You can freeze them for later use. They do lose
texture, but retain flavor and heat. Just slice them and freeze on a
cookie sheet and then into airtight containers. That makes it easy to
remove what you want to add to a soup or whatever. Do remember to
wear gloves and avoid all sensitive body areas (your own and everybody
elses) when working with habenaros!

Rick
Can you give me a clue how you pickle peppers, vinegar and pickling spices?
G.

Old 20-08-2010, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Graham wrote:
A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero
peppers, well first of all here are the results thanks for your help,
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html
But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest
20 to 30 within weeks, and hopefully more to
follow. I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I
do with them? I can think of 3 options,
Can I freeze chili peppers?

Yes they freeze well, they will soften but this is not likely to be a big
problem if they are later to be cooked.

How does one dry chili peppers?

In the sun where the breeze can blow if the humidity is low otherwise in a
dehydrator or a very slow oven (say) 60C

Has anybody ever pickled chili peppers?

Yes, that works too. Any recipe for doing capsicum will do chillis.

I have been to various cooking groups, no replies.
Thanks
Graham
www.hutson.nl

David

Old 21-08-2010, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:16:35 +0200, "Graham" wrote:

A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers,
well first of all here are the results thanks for your help,
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html
But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest 20 to
30 within weeks, and hopefully more to
follow.

Yay!

I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I do
with them? [...]

In addition to the other great ideas, how about a really wicked sambal?
You can find plenty of sambal recipes on the interwebs, but for a really
simple one, just:

* remove stalk end, process chilis in blender briefly
* finely chop "some" garlic (to taste)
* mix both together with a little salt (say, ½ tsp per litre sauce)
* pack into a jar, allowing some head space
* cover with a cloth, leave on bench to ferment 2-3 days
* stir the sauce twice daily during fermenting
* store in the fridge in a lidded jar

It'll last well in the fridge, and I'd imagine it would blow your socks
off when added to anything you'd like to eat your chili with

(I prefer to make this with cayenne chilis, and it's plenty hot with
them, so I'd imagine it'd be quite the ring burner with habaneros!)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Under the big bright yellow sun" - Fat Boy Slim
Old 21-08-2010, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I'm in North Texas and have a lot of experience with habaneros. Yes, they
are very hot, but the heat is not a lingering heat but short lived. They
have a very distinctive taste and are a very important flavor element in
Caribbean and Jamaican style food. (jerk chicken...etc) Habaneros do not
dry well and are prone to rotting. The best method I've found is to cut off
the stem end and remove the seeds and internal ribs with tweezers and smoke
them very slowly. I have a Weber kettle grill. I made a small charcoal
fire on one side of the grill and put the peppers on the opposite side from
the fire. I have lots of mesquite on my property, but you can use any wood
you choose to smoke them. Low and slow is the key on heat. Once they are
dried they will be very dark and mahogany colored. Let them cool and put in
a jar. They will keep for years. I chop them into almost a powder and put
them in chili, stew...whatever. They add a deep smoky flavor and certainly
add heat. They are wonderful, but the most important thing to remember when
working with these peppers.....either use latex or some sort of gloves when
working with them, or wash your hands a lot, because you WILL get them in
your eyes, nose or other tender body parts and they will get your
attention...
enjoy....

Old 21-08-2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wow! what a great idea smoked chilies, thanks.
Cloggie

"Thos" schreef in bericht
m...

Old 21-08-2010, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Graham" wrote in message
A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers,
well first of all here are the results thanks for your help,
http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html
But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest 20
to 30 within weeks, and hopefully more to
follow. I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I do
with them? I can think of 3 options,
Can I freeze chili peppers?
How does one dry chili peppers?
Has anybody ever pickled chili peppers?
I have been to various cooking groups, no replies.
Thanks
Graham
www.hutson.nl

I saved "Thos" post too. New trick for a old dog.

Old 22-08-2010, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thos wrote:
I'm in North Texas and have a lot of experience with habaneros. Yes,
they are very hot, but the heat is not a lingering heat but short
lived. They have a very distinctive taste and are a very important
flavor element in Caribbean and Jamaican style food. (jerk
chicken...etc) Habaneros do not dry well and are prone to rotting.
The best method I've found is to cut off the stem end and remove the
seeds and internal ribs with tweezers and smoke them very slowly.

At this point I was worried about the effects on your lungs.

have a Weber kettle grill. I made a small charcoal fire on one side
of the grill and put the peppers on the opposite side from the fire.
I have lots of mesquite on my property, but you can use any wood you
choose to smoke them. Low and slow is the key on heat. Once they
are dried they will be very dark and mahogany colored.

Ah! Very nice. I will have to try that.

Let them cool
and put in a jar. They will keep for years. I chop them into almost
a powder and put them in chili, stew...whatever. They add a deep
smoky flavor and certainly add heat. They are wonderful, but the
most important thing to remember when working with these
peppers.....either use latex or some sort of gloves when working with
them, or wash your hands a lot, because you WILL get them in your
eyes, nose or other tender body parts and they will get your
attention...
enjoy....

This advice is always appropriate.

David

Sweet chilies George Shirley[_3_] Edible Gardening 8 11-12-2015 03:00 PM
chilies Graham Edible Gardening 8 14-07-2010 01:40 AM
Thai Dragon Chilies oldhickory Texas 4 20-04-2007 05:31 AM
Steveo Spanked Again - Was: rat does the tard dance...again Aratzio Lawns 35 10-07-2004 01:02 AM