Old 22-08-2010, 09:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dutch Graham Dutch Graham is offline

Default What are the chances?

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given schreef in bericht
. ..
At the end of last summer, the chilli plants were just abandoned and left
standing where they were planted. Because we aren't big chilli users, the
plants still had quite a chillies left hanging on them and there they
stayed till recently.

In the past few weeks I've been clearing up and preparing that bed for
spring and noticed that the chilli plants were particulalry interesting.
Hanging off the chilli plants that had long thinnish chillis (cayenne??)
were old fruits that had stayed there all winter in the cold and frosty
conditions and all colour had gone from them as had all signs of flesh. I
had a bit of a chuckle because the skins looked a bit like condoms.
Inside them were lots of seeds. The little birds eye chillies too had
lots of seeds (I think I used about 3 of them in the time they were
growing - what a waste of grwoing space!).

Anyone like to take a guess and say what they think the chances of these
seeds being viable? The look OK and are in good condition visually. I
intend to take a punt on growing them when the weather finally warms up
enough, but don't have any idea at all if they will grow or not.

Your challis have sun dried, which is recommended if you want to keep the
seeds. As opposed to oven drying which kills the seeds. Put 3 in a pot and
wait up to a month, and you will get shoots, when they are a couple of
inches tall, plant outside. I fed my inside ones with tomato feed.
Cloggie