Old 22-08-2010, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What are the chances?

At the end of last summer, the chilli plants were just abandoned and left
standing where they were planted. Because we aren't big chilli users, the
plants still had quite a chillies left hanging on them and there they stayed
till recently.

In the past few weeks I've been clearing up and preparing that bed for
spring and noticed that the chilli plants were particulalry interesting.
Hanging off the chilli plants that had long thinnish chillis (cayenne??)
were old fruits that had stayed there all winter in the cold and frosty
conditions and all colour had gone from them as had all signs of flesh. I
had a bit of a chuckle because the skins looked a bit like condoms. Inside
them were lots of seeds. The little birds eye chillies too had lots of
seeds (I think I used about 3 of them in the time they were growing - what a
waste of grwoing space!).

Anyone like to take a guess and say what they think the chances of these
seeds being viable? The look OK and are in good condition visually. I
intend to take a punt on growing them when the weather finally warms up
enough, but don't have any idea at all if they will grow or not.

Old 22-08-2010, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
[...]

I would say the chances of some of them (say more than 20%) being viable is
excellent and unless a fungus has damaged them you might find it is quite
high (say 80% or more). Definitely worth the punt especially if you only
need half a dozen of each to grow.

David

Old 22-08-2010, 09:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

Your challis have sun dried, which is recommended if you want to keep the
seeds. As opposed to oven drying which kills the seeds. Put 3 in a pot and
wait up to a month, and you will get shoots, when they are a couple of
inches tall, plant outside. I fed my inside ones with tomato feed.
Cloggie

Old 22-08-2010, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

. ..
[...]

I would make my guess that the ones that DID germinate would be very hearty.

Steve

Get a free electronic book before they run out!

Old 25-08-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks for the input chaps on the chilli seeds. I'll try to remember to
post back to let you all know how they go once I plant them up.

Old 26-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmI View Post
Thanks for the input chaps on the chilli seeds. I'll try to remember to
post back to let you all know how they go once I plant them up.
Unless you took special efforts to enclose the flowers, they will be cross-pollinated with all the other chillis and peppers you grew in the same area, and the plants from the seeds won't be the same as what you grew last year.