Old 22-08-2010, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Helebores

On 21 Aug 2010 21:51:31 GMT, wrote:

I just bought up the last of the plants at the gardening club sale - 5
helebores and an osteospermum. Now the latter I think I can cope with.
But I've never (despite considering it every year) managed to get around to
getting helebores before.

So my question is ... given I don't know anything about what particular type
of helebore they are, where is a relatively safe place to plant them?
(They're currently a bit weedy looking and not really very happy at all)

I have, mostly, a choice of:
* south facing planter
* south facing basket (once the tomatoes die off)
* south facing window (as a pot plant)
* north facing basket with no shelter (and minimal watering!)
* north facing planter which will be shady

Hellebores like shade and moist soil with plenty of humus.
HOWEVER, some years ago I put some plants on my allotment in clayey
soil in full sun which sometimes sets like concrete. It was upposed to
be a temporary thing but they were there for years till I moved them.
They did really well and I eventually had quite a bed of them, much
admired, so they WILL do in full sun, but try to dig in some compost
and maybe try to find a more shady place. They do make huge root
balls after a few years. I don't advise growing them in containers
for more than a couple of years.
Look up pictures of various hellebores. My experience is with
h.orientalis, commonly known as Lenten Roses. I guess that's what
you've got. They seed themselves around if left alone.
Good luck. Very rewarding plants.

Pam in Bristol