Old 21-08-2010, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Helebores

I just bought up the last of the plants at the gardening club sale - 5
helebores and an osteospermum. Now the latter I think I can cope with.
But I've never (despite considering it every year) managed to get around to
getting helebores before.

So my question is ... given I don't know anything about what particular type
of helebore they are, where is a relatively safe place to plant them?
(They're currently a bit weedy looking and not really very happy at all)

I have, mostly, a choice of:
* south facing planter
* south facing basket (once the tomatoes die off)
* south facing window (as a pot plant)
* north facing basket with no shelter (and minimal watering!)
* north facing planter which will be shady

Old 22-08-2010, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/08/2010 22:51, wrote:
I just bought up the last of the plants at the gardening club sale - 5
helebores and an osteospermum. Now the latter I think I can cope with.
But I've never (despite considering it every year) managed to get around to
getting helebores before.

So my question is ... given I don't know anything about what particular type
of helebore they are, where is a relatively safe place to plant them?
(They're currently a bit weedy looking and not really very happy at all)

I have, mostly, a choice of:
* south facing planter
* south facing basket (once the tomatoes die off)
* south facing window (as a pot plant)
* north facing basket with no shelter (and minimal watering!)
* north facing planter which will be shady

They are shade-loving woodland plants for the most part. They don't
like to sit in water, but need a moist soil. You could put them in the
south facing planter provided it's not toooo hot, or is shaded for part
of the day. Otherwise, you'd be better putting them in the north facing
planter, provided it gets reasonable light.

I think that baskets in any aspect would be too dry for them. Also,
they form a long root system, which would be cramped in a basket, which
tends to be shallower. Although they do like a moisture-retentive soil,
I find that when they are thoroughly established, they will cope with a
dry period, if need be.

All hellebores seem to be prone to a fungal disease called Hellebore
Black Spot. If you see black marks on the leaves, stems or flowers, it
is best to cut that material out. In spring when new growth starts,
it's often recommended to cut away all the old leaves to make room for
the new ones and to show off the flowers. Personally, I keep a few
respectable old leaves (I think it shows off the flowers better and
helps strengthen the plant) and only remove tatty, diseased ones.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 22-08-2010, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Aug 2010 21:51:31 GMT, wrote:

I just bought up the last of the plants at the gardening club sale - 5
helebores and an osteospermum. Now the latter I think I can cope with.
But I've never (despite considering it every year) managed to get around to
getting helebores before.

So my question is ... given I don't know anything about what particular type
of helebore they are, where is a relatively safe place to plant them?
(They're currently a bit weedy looking and not really very happy at all)

I have, mostly, a choice of:
* south facing planter
* south facing basket (once the tomatoes die off)
* south facing window (as a pot plant)
* north facing basket with no shelter (and minimal watering!)
* north facing planter which will be shady

Hellebores like shade and moist soil with plenty of humus.
HOWEVER, some years ago I put some plants on my allotment in clayey
soil in full sun which sometimes sets like concrete. It was upposed to
be a temporary thing but they were there for years till I moved them.
They did really well and I eventually had quite a bed of them, much
admired, so they WILL do in full sun, but try to dig in some compost
and maybe try to find a more shady place. They do make huge root
balls after a few years. I don't advise growing them in containers
for more than a couple of years.
Look up pictures of various hellebores. My experience is with
h.orientalis, commonly known as Lenten Roses. I guess that's what
you've got. They seed themselves around if left alone.
Good luck. Very rewarding plants.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-08-2010, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 13:27:28 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Hellebores like shade and moist soil with plenty of humus.
HOWEVER, some years ago I put some plants on my allotment in clayey
soil in full sun which sometimes sets like concrete. It was upposed to
be a temporary thing but they were there for years till I moved them.
They did really well and I eventually had quite a bed of them, much
admired, so they WILL do in full sun, but try to dig in some compost
and maybe try to find a more shady place. They do make huge root
balls after a few years. I don't advise growing them in containers
for more than a couple of years.
Look up pictures of various hellebores. My experience is with
h.orientalis

Also known as Elizabeth Hurley

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 22-08-2010, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hellebores like shade and moist soil with plenty of humus.
HOWEVER, some years ago I put some plants on my allotment in clayey
soil in full sun which sometimes sets like concrete. It was upposed to
be a temporary thing but they were there for years till I moved them.
They did really well and I eventually had quite a bed of them, much
admired, so they WILL do in full sun, but try to dig in some compost
and maybe try to find a more shady place. They do make huge root
balls after a few years. I don't advise growing them in containers
for more than a couple of years.
Look up pictures of various hellebores. My experience is with
h.orientalis

Also known as Elizabeth Hurley

Sorry, I read that as H.horizontalis.

--

Old 22-08-2010, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Thank you both, I'll have a think about it, but may put them in the front
(north facing) bed, then - best chance of shade and damp. They can make
friends with the primulas and cyclamen.