Old 22-08-2010, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ragnar Ragnar is offline

Default wild flower meadoew

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I have a fairly large area of my garden that is uncultivated poor grass. I
would like to make it into a wild meadow, however it seems to me that after
a few weeks it is growing a lovely crop of gorse, which I do not want. what
action should or can I take to make a decent wild meadow? any help would
be appreciated. I cannot afford to spend a fortune on wild flower seed,
surely nature should be able to cope? Al;so, at the moment it is fenced off
with rabbit proof fencing, which if necessary I would be quite happy to
remove, should I?

If you missed Countryfile on BBC this afternoon try and find a repeat
because there was a good item about wild flower meadows.

I am quite sure you would need to scalp the ground and sow wild flower seed.
If you just leave it (mowing occasionally) it would revert to wild flower
meadow eventually but it could take many years.
HTH
R.