Old 25-08-2010, 05:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Cordyline Australis

I have three healthy trees in the garden planted by previous owner(s)
some 20-30yrs ago. Two of them have branched at about 2 Meters above
ground and are of an acceptable height. The third has not branched at
all, is approx 7 Metres high and is located approx 7 Metres SW of my
Conservatory. It was swaying alarmingly in the strong winds we've had in
the last couple of days. They are all very decorative so I don't want to
cut the tall one down if I can avoid it. I wondered if anyone has had
any experience with inducing branching lower down the trunk by making a
cut above a dormant bud (assuming I can find one) or some other method
of reducing the height, bearing in mind that the leaves are all at the
top of the tree.
It's a bit early this morning to take a photo, I'll try and do it later on.
Regards
Don