Old 25-08-2010, 05:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cordyline Australis

I have three healthy trees in the garden planted by previous owner(s)
some 20-30yrs ago. Two of them have branched at about 2 Meters above
ground and are of an acceptable height. The third has not branched at
all, is approx 7 Metres high and is located approx 7 Metres SW of my
Conservatory. It was swaying alarmingly in the strong winds we've had in
the last couple of days. They are all very decorative so I don't want to
cut the tall one down if I can avoid it. I wondered if anyone has had
any experience with inducing branching lower down the trunk by making a
cut above a dormant bud (assuming I can find one) or some other method
of reducing the height, bearing in mind that the leaves are all at the
top of the tree.
It's a bit early this morning to take a photo, I'll try and do it later on.
Regards
Don

Old 25-08-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...
[...]

Cordylines will branch after they flower or following damage, so next
spring just cut the top off!, it will look silly for a season but
eventually recover, you may of course find it only produces one shoot so
you are back to square one.

Mine lost all its stems on one side last winter due to cold and has
reluctantly produced a couple of small shoots from the bare remaining
stems so its not a fast process but then my plants stems may have also
suffered damage
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 25-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
In article , Charlie
Pridham
writes
In article
,
lid says...
[...]

One here which was at least 7 metres tall, probably more, died (in the
sense that the leaves all went brown) in a short cold spell about 15
years ago. The owner, assuming it was dead, cut it down to the ground
but didn't bother to remove the roots, whereupon three strong shoots
appeared and all three are now about the same height again!

--
Malcolm
Hi Donwill,
Old 28-08-2010, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you all for the advice, I think I can risk cutting it but I'll
leave it until winter perhaps.
Cheers
Don