Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
M Walczak

Default CO2 vs algae

Graham,
Thanks, Well my tank conditions are
pH 7.6
GH 14
KH 5

and 29g w/ 110w PC, 3.8 wpg

what is PMDD?
"Graham Ramsay" wrote in message
"M Walczak" wrote
OK questions,
I just got back from my LFS which I find to be very knowledgeable. In
disagreement with some theories I have read here, the LFS said that CO2
would make an algae problem worse, not help it. And he supported his
thought. Now, I what like to know what is going on with CO2, algae and
photosynthesis. What kind of results should I expect?

That's not my experience, nor I would suggest
the experience of most others on this group.
The generally held opinion is that a bit of algae
in a planted tank is normal (desirous even), but
can be controlled by algae eating animals and
regular tank maintenance.
When algal growth is excessive and becomes a
problem, it's due to a imbalance in one or other of
light/CO2/nutrients. The trick is to get just enough
of everything to allow the plants to grow healthily,
thus leaving no excess for the algae.
My experience is that by adding CO2 and dosing
with PMDD, algae reduced to a manageable level
almost overnight.
Just adding CO2 to an already balanced low or
medium light tank may cause algae to prosper though.

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)