Old 25-08-2010, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Hazlenut suckers

"beccabunga" wrote in message

;867589 Wrote:
In article ,
Raymond RUSSELL
wrote:-

All these trees send up numerous suckers that soon outgrow
- and seem to take a lot of energy away from - the original tree.-

Not really. They don't make much difference, as a hazel isn't
grafted.
-
When I replant them is there a way that I can avoid the suckers,
i.e. planting at a deeper - or shallower - level ?
(I can't actually see any grafting joint).-

No. Hazels are natural shrubs, like bay, and WILL sucker. Just
prune them out, if they get in the way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Or coppice the hazel, which will provide you with bean poles, pea
supports and supports for your herbaceous border.

.....Not to mention staves for walking sticks if you're inclined to have a go
at making some

Bill