Old 27-08-2010, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Jeyes Fluid in Lidl

Christina Websell wrote:
Why, is it being withdrawn as an allowed substance? I'm fairly sure Nick
bought some earlier this year (proper Jeyes, not patio cleaner)

Not before time, it's horribly full of phenol, cats and dogs (and others
mammals presumably) can be poisoned by it simply by taking it in through
their pads on a long term basis, like if you use it to wash down your patio
regularly.

I haven't heard that the full strength Jeyes is banned but if it is I am not
surprised. I once poisoned a ferret I had by using it to disinfect his
hutch. My vet told me so when I took him there, dying of organ failure. I
thought I was keeping him clean by using it - but I was killing him :-( and
I did not know.
I never used it for anything again after that.

I'm not a big fan of anything strongly chemical - Nick likes bleech in the
toilet, but other than that I mostly get my way about things. But for some
reason he insists the only thing to clean the greenhouse with before the new
season starts is Jeyes. I haven't been able to disuade him from it so far.