Old 26-08-2010, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jeyes Fluid in Lidl

For those who used to swear by Jeyes Fluid, it is currently in stock as a
patio cleaner at Lidl.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 26-08-2010, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:21:39 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

For those who used to swear by Jeyes Fluid, it is currently in stock as a
patio cleaner at Lidl.

Be aware, Jeyes Fluid patio cleaner
is NOT Jeyes Fluid as we know it but a diluted variant.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 26-08-2010, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
For those who used to swear by Jeyes Fluid, it is currently in stock as a
patio cleaner at Lidl.

Why, is it being withdrawn as an allowed substance? I'm fairly sure Nick
bought some earlier this year (proper Jeyes, not patio cleaner)
Old 26-08-2010, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
For those who used to swear by Jeyes Fluid, it is currently in stock as a
patio cleaner at Lidl.

Why, is it being withdrawn as an allowed substance? I'm fairly sure Nick
bought some earlier this year (proper Jeyes, not patio cleaner)

Not before time, it's horribly full of phenol, cats and dogs (and others
mammals presumably) can be poisoned by it simply by taking it in through
their pads on a long term basis, like if you use it to wash down your patio
regularly.

I haven't heard that the full strength Jeyes is banned but if it is I am not
surprised. I once poisoned a ferret I had by using it to disinfect his
hutch. My vet told me so when I took him there, dying of organ failure. I
thought I was keeping him clean by using it - but I was killing him :-( and
I did not know.
I never used it for anything again after that.
Tina

Old 27-08-2010, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Why, is it being withdrawn as an allowed substance? I'm fairly sure Nick
bought some earlier this year (proper Jeyes, not patio cleaner)

Not before time, it's horribly full of phenol, cats and dogs (and others
mammals presumably) can be poisoned by it simply by taking it in through
their pads on a long term basis, like if you use it to wash down your patio
regularly.

I haven't heard that the full strength Jeyes is banned but if it is I am not
surprised. I once poisoned a ferret I had by using it to disinfect his
hutch. My vet told me so when I took him there, dying of organ failure. I
thought I was keeping him clean by using it - but I was killing him :-( and
I did not know.
I never used it for anything again after that.

I'm not a big fan of anything strongly chemical - Nick likes bleech in the
toilet, but other than that I mostly get my way about things. But for some
reason he insists the only thing to clean the greenhouse with before the new
season starts is Jeyes. I haven't been able to disuade him from it so far.

Old 27-08-2010, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Aug 2010 21:57:11 GMT, wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
For those who used to swear by Jeyes Fluid, it is currently in stock as a
patio cleaner at Lidl.

Why, is it being withdrawn as an allowed substance? I'm fairly sure Nick
bought some earlier this year (proper Jeyes, not patio cleaner)

You can still buy the original Jeyes but it is apparently no longer
allowed to market itself as a soil steriliser. It can be, and is,
marketed as a "hard-surface" steriliser, (shelves plant pots etc)

(Mind you, if you place your plant pots on your soil in the greenhouse
to sterilise them, it's very difficult to avoid getting the fluid on
your soil)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered User

Cool! I was just looking for a decent patio cleaner
miele spares

Jeyes Fluid harry United Kingdom 33 13-01-2012 09:45 AM
Jeyes Fluid for Water Feature? Trevor Tyrrell United Kingdom 10 06-03-2011 06:58 AM
Jeyes Fluid as weedkiller near wood? Eddy Bentley United Kingdom 17 08-08-2007 06:57 PM
Jeyes Fluid - Good to poison your soil George.com Gardening 0 27-09-2006 05:22 PM
Jeyes Fluid?? Mog Gardening 7 21-04-2004 01:04 PM