Old 27-08-2010, 10:09 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
"So Bunya (Araucaria bidwillii) is "very hardy", is it?! It may grow on
Tresco (I can't remember if there is one there) but is there a plant
surviving anywhere on the UK mainland? I doubt it. To quote from the
Wikipedia entry "Once established Bunyas are quite hardy and can be grown as
far south as Hobart in Australia (42° S) and Christchurch in New Zealand
(43° S) and (at least) as far north as Sacramento in California (38° N) and
Lisbon (in the botanical garden)." Even the extreme south of the British
mainland (50°N) is 10° north of these areas.
There are bunyas at Bussaco in inland central Portugal. Enormous ones, they've been there about 100 years. It's also up quite a big hill, but Wikipedia won't tell me how high, but I'm guessing round about 500m/1500ft, as the highest point in the range of hills it sits on is 600m. But you get a hot summer there and that makes a big difference to winter survivability.