Old 27-08-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Update; Large flowered hibiscue

"David WE Roberts" wrote

I'm trying to grow on a couple of Hibiscus shoots which seem to be
offshoots from the roots of an established plants.
They are both in pots with HomeBase peat free compost.
The tiny one seems to be growing reasonably well (although no sign of
flowers) but the larger one is struggling; it dropped its leaves but is
growing them back again slowly.
Both seem to need an inordinate amout of water to survive.
They are both sitting outside with their pots in water and seem to like it
that way.

David, do you mean suckers from the large flowered Hibiscus or from H.
syriacus?

From what I understand the large flowered ones have some bog or swamp type
plants in their makeup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_moscheutos
Which would explain your sucker's propensity for water.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden