Old 30-08-2010, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David P David P is offline

Default Rhubarb in winter

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:05:48 +0100, Peter James wrote:

My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

In a word, Yes.

We used to grow around 40 acres of rhubarb that were then forced and sent
to the London markets.

They stayed in the fields 3 years untouched save as to manuring and
shoddying to build up the crowns. So for a crown that is to be left in
the ground and not exhausted a year should be fine.

--
David