Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
kush

Default Free Plants USA Only You pay S/H by USPS

M Walczak wrote in message
hlink.net...
Leigh
I see you have Lilaeopsis novae zelandiae in your tank.
I just got some the other day and it is hard to plant. any tips for

success
with this plant?

May I? Planting lilaeopsis takes either patience or bloody-minded
determination. It's best undertaken with no small children in the house, or
anyone who will be offended by strong language. I will outline both methods
which have worked for me:

The Patient Method: Carefully tug off small sections about the size of a
dime which are to be to be planted. Holding the clump between thumb and
forefingers, align the roots and , using fine scissors, cut away the white
bits that extend beyond the clump. Dig a small pit and hold the clump in it
while you back fill. Note: this is the part where the clump will usually
float to the surface and the swearing commences. I have a 18" stick with
two plastic-coated wire bread ties wrapped around the end I use for this
part. Hold the clump down loosely and sprinkle fine gravel in amongst the
blades. Repeat, hundreds of times, placing the clumps about 1/8" - 1/4"
apart.

The Bloody-minded Method: Assumes you are using "turf." Empty all but
about 1" of water out of the tank. I'm serious - this is how I do it. Lay
the piece of turf where you want it, sprinkle it with fine gravel to hold it
down and fill in around the edges. Put the water back in the tank.

When you buy sheets of turf, in my experience, they have usually been grown
emersed. There is a fairly long period (one month? three months?) before it
adjusts to being submerged and will start to spread. Some portions may
experience a little die back where cut roots have rotted. As far as
possible, avoid getting your siphon right down in amongst the blades as you
will uproot a lot of edges.

If you haven't already, consider installing "boundaries" to restrain your
Lileaopsis from spreading.

Good luck.

kush