Old 28-08-2010, 11:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Are these plums?

"Owdboggy" wrote
thornyrose;898766 Wrote:
There is a tree growing these plums along a pathway near my home. I
don't think they are edible, but I would like to know the name of them.
Thanks.

Certainly look like plums to me. There are a lot of small wild plums in
hedgerows. We have them on ours and they are very edible. Mind we also
have some which are as bitter as they come. Only way to tell is to try
one when they are properly ripe. they are not poisonous.
There are by the way, Bullace, Sloes and Damsons as well as Plums, all
to be found growing wild.

Can't see the photo probably because , like most people, I don't use
gardenbanter to come to this newsgroup I come direct, but if it's what I
think it is (marble sized plums) they are what the French call Mirabelles
and they make a superb jam much prized in France. We came across a tree
laden with them last year whilst out walking near Send and picked a couple
of kilo, later we found a whole line of these trees next to a road near
Shepperton and some had red fruit, instead of the normal yellow, which made
even better jam. The only down side is stoning them all.

Gardenbanter do tell you how to actually post a photo to newsgroups because
whilst this is a binary group there are a lot that are non-binary so don't
accept any attachments, you have to upload it to gb's own site and post a
link on the newsgroup. Newsgroups are part of Usenet which predates the www
just is case you didn't know.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden