Old 28-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Registered User

Default Are these plums?

There is a tree growing these plums along a pathway near my home. I don't think they are edible, but I would like to know the name of them. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Are these plums?-p1060175-800x600.jpg
Old 28-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornyrose View Post
There is a tree growing these plums along a pathway near my home. I don't think they are edible, but I would like to know the name of them. Thanks.
Certainly look like plums to me. There are a lot of small wild plums in hedgerows. We have them on ours and they are very edible. Mind we also have some which are as bitter as they come. Only way to tell is to try one when they are properly ripe. they are not poisonous.
There are by the way, Bullace, Sloes and Damsons as well as Plums, all to be found growing wild.
Old 28-08-2010, 11:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Owdboggy" wrote
thornyrose;898766 Wrote:
There is a tree growing these plums along a pathway near my home. I
don't think they are edible, but I would like to know the name of them.
Thanks.

Certainly look like plums to me. There are a lot of small wild plums in
hedgerows. We have them on ours and they are very edible. Mind we also
have some which are as bitter as they come. Only way to tell is to try
one when they are properly ripe. they are not poisonous.
There are by the way, Bullace, Sloes and Damsons as well as Plums, all
to be found growing wild.

Can't see the photo probably because , like most people, I don't use
gardenbanter to come to this newsgroup I come direct, but if it's what I
think it is (marble sized plums) they are what the French call Mirabelles
and they make a superb jam much prized in France. We came across a tree
laden with them last year whilst out walking near Send and picked a couple
of kilo, later we found a whole line of these trees next to a road near
Shepperton and some had red fruit, instead of the normal yellow, which made
even better jam. The only down side is stoning them all.

Gardenbanter do tell you how to actually post a photo to newsgroups because
whilst this is a binary group there are a lot that are non-binary so don't
accept any attachments, you have to upload it to gb's own site and post a
link on the newsgroup. Newsgroups are part of Usenet which predates the www
just is case you didn't know.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
Certainly look like plums to me. There are a lot of small wild plums in hedgerows. We have them on ours and they are very edible. Mind we also have some which are as bitter as they come. Only way to tell is to try one when they are properly ripe. they are not poisonous.
There are by the way, Bullace, Sloes and Damsons as well as Plums, all to be found growing wild.
I've tasted one and it was extremely sour and unpleasant! Thanks for your info' though.
Old 29-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornyrose View Post
I've tasted one and it was extremely sour and unpleasant! Thanks for your info' though.
How sad. I have just picked 10 kilos of really nice sharp,but pleasant plums from the tree down our lane.

Old 30-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
How sad. I have just picked 10 kilos of really nice sharp,but pleasant plums from the tree down our lane.
These certainly are edible wild plums. These come in various colours from yellow through shades of red to those shown in the photo. Some are sweet and others need to be very ripe to taste reasonable . Yellow ones are always the sweetest, but all are good for cooking in pies ect. Don"t waste them !!!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden[_3_] View Post
"Owdboggy" wrote
thornyrose;898766 Wrote:
[...]

I've now read up about newsgroups as part of Usenet. What I don't understand is where on Garden Banter I write my question and then how do I upload photo to Garden Banter's own site. Looked through FAQs, but cannot find the answer. I did my plum thread through 'Garden Photos'. Thx for your help.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornyrose View Post
I've now read up about newsgroups as part of Usenet. What I don't understand is where on Garden Banter I write my question and then how do I upload photo to Garden Banter's own site. Looked through FAQs, but cannot find the answer. I did my plum thread through 'Garden Photos'. Thx for your help.
If, for examplw you wiah to put a message in Gardening, then you Click on the Gardenin section. At the Top Right you should then see the words New Thread. Click on that and away you go.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
If, for example you wish to put a message in Gardening, then you Click on the Gardening section. At the Top Right you should then see the words New Thread. Click on that and away you go.
My typing gets worse every day!

[IMG] code is On

Are These Plums? Davy United Kingdom 30 24-09-2005 10:58 AM
Hi, saw these thought Some Folks here might find them Usefull in these dry times (url) Root Watering Christopher Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM