Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Aaargggh! Tomato blight.

David WE Roberts wrote:
The tomatoes on the allotment were just starting to ripen.
Then the heavens opened for a week.
Now there is significant brown rot on some plants and a lot of unripe
fruit. Although we have taken a load of ripe fruit off the tomatoes
it looks as though the crop may well be destroyed very soon.
I assume this is worse on allotments than at home because the
tomatoes at home are still fine.
Is it possible to save some tomatoes by removing most leaves and all
infected parts of the plant?
Not an easy task.

The allotment is also a jungle - a week of rain and the whole site is
under a carpet of weeds.
Not looking forward to clearing them in an attempt to find the
potatoes and onions.
Hopefully a few more days of dry weather will make it easier to work
the ground - everwhere is very damp at the moment.

We do, however, have a champion courgette.
Takes two strong men to lift it :-)

One courgette plant is showing signs of yellowing of the leaves which
make me wonder if it has some kind of infection.

The whole allotment seems to have gone to hell in just over a week.

Ho hum.

I was going to say my garden has developed a blanket of weeds, but
"continental quilt" might be more accurate.

Ian