Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aaargggh! Tomato blight.

The tomatoes on the allotment were just starting to ripen.
Then the heavens opened for a week.
Now there is significant brown rot on some plants and a lot of unripe fruit.
Although we have taken a load of ripe fruit off the tomatoes it looks as
though the crop may well be destroyed very soon.
I assume this is worse on allotments than at home because the tomatoes at
home are still fine.
Is it possible to save some tomatoes by removing most leaves and all
infected parts of the plant?
Not an easy task.

The allotment is also a jungle - a week of rain and the whole site is under
a carpet of weeds.
Not looking forward to clearing them in an attempt to find the potatoes and
onions.
Hopefully a few more days of dry weather will make it easier to work the
ground - everwhere is very damp at the moment.

We do, however, have a champion courgette.
Takes two strong men to lift it :-)

One courgette plant is showing signs of yellowing of the leaves which make
me wonder if it has some kind of infection.

The whole allotment seems to have gone to hell in just over a week.

Ho hum.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I was going to say my garden has developed a blanket of weeds, but
"continental quilt" might be more accurate.

Ian

Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message

We do, however, have a champion courgette.
Takes two strong men to lift it :-)

Ian

Sounds like you have failed on this score as well !
You probably have a marrow instead (:-)

Pete

Old 02-09-2010, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message
news

"Ian B" wrote in message

We do, however, have a champion courgette.
Takes two strong men to lift it :-)

Ian

Sounds like you have failed on this score as well !
You probably have a marrow instead (:-)

Apart from the question of the difference between a marrow picked early and
a courgette, this still looks like a courgette.
When I was a lad marrows were fatter and had light and dark longditudinal
stripes.
IIRC marrows also had more seeds, and tended to be a bit more 'woody' on the
outside.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David WE Roberts
writes
The tomatoes on the allotment were just starting to ripen.
Then the heavens opened for a week.
Now there is significant brown rot on some plants and a lot of unripe fruit.
Although we have taken a load of ripe fruit off the tomatoes it looks
as though the crop may well be destroyed very soon.
I assume this is worse on allotments than at home because the tomatoes
at home are still fine.
Is it possible to save some tomatoes by removing most leaves and all
infected parts of the plant?

Yes, then spray the plants with a solution of Epsom salts every day for
a week.

I had blight in my tomatoes last year and followed this advice. It
checked the spread of the blight without completely stopping it. This
year I grew most of mine from seed and have had no trouble - so far.

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
Organic remedy for tomato blight ? Peter Richards United Kingdom 37 22-10-2003 06:22 AM
Tomato blight rile Edible Gardening 4 18-05-2003 11:20 PM
Tomato Early Blight problems gary Texas 0 08-05-2003 02:44 PM
Tomato blight Janet Margaret Castle Gardening 3 01-05-2003 06:20 AM